BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 141 - 150 of 1786 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...179

Forum » Thread

Re: 'jump to first unread' missing?
Yeah, it USED to work like that with Internet Explorer. It still does with Firefox or Chrome. But, I need the IE for work. About two weeks ago it started looping in the script that was supposed ...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » 'jump to first unread' missing?
December 12, 5:53am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scorched Titanium?
Yeah, Roger answered the problem directly. Snowmelt has all sorts of dust, pollen, spores, etc in it. Even the mineral deposits left by differing waters can leave strange tasts if overheated. Mo...

In GEAR » Scorched Titanium?
December 09, 6:04pm

Re: Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 2: Considering Fuel Needs for Cold Temperatures
Using pure propane was discussed sometime back. For toppers, there is likely little difference, except they will require a bit less valve setting; roughly equivalent to an 80F day using butane. For...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 2: Considering Fuel Needs for Cold Temperatures
December 07, 8:00pm

Re: Reduced steam is good
It really doesn't matter what the oil is. You can use butter, for cocoa/tea. It's good in either. Parified butter is just the butter fat, without the liquids/salt. But I think I would rathe...

In Philosophy & Technique » Cooking Efficiency: Leave the lid at home, bring oil
December 05, 8:43pm

Re: Re: Re: Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 2: Considering Fuel Needs for Cold Temperatures
"I believe it's slow because the gasses inside boil at differing rates and butane has a hard time below about 32F/0C. When using a propane/iso blend the propane acts as a propellent and he...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 2: Considering Fuel Needs for Cold Temperatures
December 05, 6:23am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cold weather performance upright canister
Hey, Jerry, try some aluminum wire from a house feed line. I believe this is 10ga wire and conducts heat almost as well as copper, but is lighter. (Not used for hook-up wire, but for the main feeds...

In Philosophy & Technique » cold weather performance upright canister
December 05, 1:54am

Re: Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 2: Considering Fuel Needs for Cold Temperatures
Good overview, Ryan. Looking for more!

December 04, 5:41am

Re: 2-Stake Technique?
It really doesn't require a direct load of 60lbs on the stakes. The angle of the roof as it comes over the poles allows the pressure on the stakes to be much decreased. For example: Note...

In Editor's Roundtable » Stephenson 2C Tent Review - Part 1
December 01, 2:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Michael and Rex
Lithium batteries weigh significantly less than alkiline, also. I think about 1/3 less though it has been many years since I weighed them.

In GEAR » Lithium ion batteries in freezing temperatures
November 30, 2:46am

Re: Gossamer Gear holiday sale
Yeah, hear is their note: Thanksgiving sale starts Wednesday till Monday night. Up to 25% off items through out the store. ( while supplies last ) We hope you have a wonderful holiday. Best Wishes...

In Gear Deals » Gossamer Gear holiday sale
November 27, 11:58am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am