BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 141 - 150 of 1858 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: 950 Fill Power?
Fill power is basically a measument of loft. They only are performed under selativly strict guide lines, though. They do NOT take into account real world conditions for a sleeping bag. The EN stand...

In Make Your Own Gear » 950 Fill Power?
March 04, 6:10am

Re: Re: Updated Cat Curve Spreadsheet
Well, I don't believe the diffrence between metric and english is all that great. After all, it is all the same thing we try to measure. For some things the english measuments are far superior....

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG Technical Note - Catenary Curves
March 03, 9:06am

Re: Stanco grease pot mods
One mod you seem to have overlooked was the heat exchanger rings dimpled into the bottom of the pot. ~5 seems to work best because they are easy to clean. You get around a 15% improvement in boil t...

In Make Your Own Gear » Kmart Grease Pot tips and mods?
March 01, 6:00am

Re: Re: Optimum ratio of pot diameter to height
Yeah, I follow. I do not think it is quite as simple as that, though. 1) Stove output would effect pot diameter for best heating. I have mane a lot of alcohol stoves from ones with small diamete...

In GEAR » Optimum ratio of pot diameter to height
February 28, 8:30pm

Re: What is your two item first aid kit?
First item: Duct tape Second item: Bandana Third item: Ibuprofin (pain and swelling) Antibiotic ointement: olive oil and fuel mix Epinephrine: three-four scoops of coffee in a half cup of wat...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What is your two item first aid kit?
February 27, 3:38am

Re: reinforcement
Ben, it sort'a depends on your conditions. I spend most of my time out in the ADK's. We get some good storms here. Usually the forest floor is damp. Lakes and streams are often cold enough ...

In Make Your Own Gear » First MYOG project
February 25, 7:03am

Re: Coleman fuel not equal naphtha
Dan, I consider them a failure, though they will do about 2 cups in a 1/3 oz. They do not burn cleanly. Quenching the flame down to primary combustion works for visual flames, but not for fumes. Wh...

In GEAR » Why Isn't There an UL Alcohol Type Stove that Bruns White Gas?
February 25, 5:54am

Re: Re: Re: "EN 13537 and LOFT"
Tim, interesting article. So, basically this is suggesting eating an oz of jerky before heading to bed. Hmmm, likely some fats, too, since the warmth would wear off after 4-5 hours.

In GEAR » EN 13537 and LOFT
February 25, 5:00am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Isn't There an UL Alcohol Type Stove that Bruns White Gas?
"10ml, 1/3oz will boil 2 cups of 35 degree beginning temp of water in 35 degree air temp. Now I say to Marco....is that efficient?" I burn about 9-12gm (~1/3oz) of fuel per *LITER* (4+...

In GEAR » Why Isn't There an UL Alcohol Type Stove that Bruns White Gas?
February 24, 11:54am

Re: "EN 13537 and LOFT"
Loft is only one of the measuments of how warm a bag/quilt is. Thermal resistance is another. IE the material composition of the the fill, itself. Down is fairly high in these numbers, too. Anyway,...

In GEAR » EN 13537 and LOFT
February 24, 11:39am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am