Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 141 - 150 of 1918 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...192

Forum » Thread

Tent comparison
Good article, once I got by the title. (That was a bit of sensationalism, I guess.) Anyway, I see this as pointing up the problems between "pigeon holed" categorizations we are saddled...

In Editor's Roundtable » Top Ultralight Tent Review
April 16, 1:19pm

Re: Re: Re: The Care and Feeding of Lindal Valves
Yeah, 1 out of 30 is pretty low, only about 3% failure rate. I belive one was my fault for not checking before packing up. I believe this may have been prevented. Another there was no hope for. It ...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Care and Feeding of Lindal Valves
April 16, 9:42am

The Care and Feeding of Lindal Valves
Hi Roger, a good article as always. Leaking canisters has always been my problem. Way back when they were first released, I used one of the older "pierce" models. It failed after just...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Care and Feeding of Lindal Valves
April 16, 5:16am

Re: Re: Re: Permethrin tick repellent for clothing
From the gov'ment: http://books.google.com/books?id=tDwrAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA80&lpg=PA80&dq=permethrin+dye&source=bl&ots=oQLajojpD2&sig=Vr5jYV0Krq58_h6O2k_ZcJ1zYR4&hl=en&a...

In GEAR » Permethrin tick repellent for clothing
April 15, 5:17am

Re: Lacing techniques
Hundreds of different lacings for shoes. Yes, they can modify fit/function and zones of shoes and boots. Here are a sample: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

In Philosophy & Technique » Shoe lacing anomaly?
April 15, 4:49am

Re: Argon silnylon - Detailed Analysis Report
Thanks, Richard!

In Make Your Own Gear » Argon silnylon
April 15, 3:51am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wrong fin design
"This being backpacking light, you can't afford to have two layers of metal, it'll be too heavy." Jerry, you bring a cone/heat shield don't you? This IS a second layer of met...

In Make Your Own Gear » The Alcohol Stove “Efficiency Percentage” Test Thread
April 15, 3:41am

Re: Re: Liquid Fuel Consumption vs. Canister Fuel Consumption.
Fuel use with WG depends on the stove and burner you are using. Perhaps more so than alcohol. Alcohol (methanol and ethanol) are easy to burn since they are generally partialy combusted anyway. Typ...

In GEAR » Liquid Fuel Consumption vs. Canister Fuel Consumption.
April 14, 7:02am

Re: Re: Wrong fin design
Roger and jerry seem to have it right. The mechanical connection for the fin sheet is likely the loss. These are often welded on, insuring good heat transfer. Looking at your set-up, only the very ...

In Make Your Own Gear » The Alcohol Stove “Efficiency Percentage” Test Thread
April 13, 3:34am

Colors that repel insects?
Yeah, as a general rule, lighter colors seem to be less attractive. Dark and deeply dyed colors are more attractive. Repell doesn't work.

In GEAR » Colors that repel insects?
April 11, 4:03am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am