Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Zack Karas (iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Lake Tahoe
About Me Trail names that haven't stuck: Oprah, Sir Craps-a-Lot, Runaway Blouse, Bunefa, Steve, Big McLargeHuge, The Inedible Uncle Fabulous.

Don't ask.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Zack Karas

Showing 141 - 150 of 399 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...40

Forum » Thread

High calorie bar
I like Big Sur Bars. Original is 5 oz. and 678 calories = 135 calories an ounce. I usually have one for breakfast and sometimes one for dessert.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 150 calories per ounce/28 oz per day
August 29, 8:07pm

AT food
Do you plan on doing a mix of PO and store resupplies? It's very hard to know what you can expect, especially in some of the smaller 'towns' you'll hit, so some PO visits make sens...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 150 calories per ounce/28 oz per day
August 29, 4:39pm

try this
When I want to get my dog to drink a lot, I always add bits of her dog food to her water dish. In the process of getting the kibble out, she end up drinking a ton of water. it might work for you....

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Super-Hydrating a Dog
August 29, 1:20pm

At thru
Someone posted that you should basically be prepared to spend 3 days in a tent waiting out a rainstorm on the AT? that's not how thruhikers handle rain. If the weather was really that bad out...

In Gear Lists » Fill in the Blanks
August 28, 3:26pm

Pain
Go to a doctor. Seriously. Pain is your legs way of telling you something is wrong, and your 'horrific pain' is your leg shouting at you. Listen.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lower Leg Injury Help Needed
August 26, 10:43pm

RE: right on the coals
This reminds me of a car camping trip I took in college where we all cooked steaks on skewers over an open fire. My steak must have fallen into the fire 4 or 5 times. The best steak I've ever...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Steak!
August 26, 1:54pm

LNT
Nice link. Like most views, I'm sure the true idea of LNT lies somewhere in the middle.

In Other Activities » XUL vs. Survival vs. Adventure Racing vs. FUBAR
August 25, 1:58pm

TT vs GG
I've used the original TT Squall (PCT thruhike) and also have the original Cloudburst (CDT thruhike). Both have had misting, but only for about 4-5 days total on each thruhike during insane st...

In GEAR » GG Squall Classic
August 24, 12:07pm

needle size
I've been using a 16 needle. I have some 18s, but didn't know if that would make a difference. The problem might lie in the machine itself--it is a Kenmore and is not a commercial model (...

In Make Your Own Gear » The Deionization of a Golite Ion Backpack
August 24, 11:59am

I don't really know where I'm going with this.
While I have very limited knowledge of true bushcraft, I do occasionally test myself. I imagine what I would do if I was in an emergency situation and have made 'forts', weapons (I love na...

In Other Activities » XUL vs. Survival vs. Adventure Racing vs. FUBAR
August 24, 11:51am

All Reader Reviews by Zack Karas

Showing 1 - 10 of 20 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
As many previous reviewers have noted, this light stove works well and supports my ti pot well. I only use this in lower elevations and warmer weather, but that is due to esbit not the stove. I ...

In Stoves - Other
September 15, 12:36pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I buy a size regular and cut it into two 30" long sections and I believe they weigh 5oz. One pad will last me for about 1200 miles before I replace it--though the replaced pad still has life lef...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
September 15, 12:33pm

Bibler Eldorado
I have only used it around 14 or so nights since then (only use it in more rugged and windy environments when snow is a possibility). My wife and I used it for our 10-day Tibet trek and it perfor...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
September 09, 4:47pm

BPL Blow-Up Pillow
I had high hopes for this pillow--the single baffle version. I have found that I have to inflate it very little to avoid my head rolling all over the place. So, in order for this pillow to keep my h...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 09, 4:36pm

Adidas Supernova Trail 5
After having foot problems, I went to a podiatrist and had custom orthotics made. The Dr. also recommended these shoes and to replace all shoes every 300-500 miles. Since using these, I have had z...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 09, 4:04pm

Red Ledge Thunderlight pants
I'm surprised that more people don't use and/or know about these. My pants weigh 6.5oz size medium and fit over my shoes. They have button snaps at the ankle to allow for 2 different sizes b...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 09, 4:00pm

Brasslite Turbo II-D
Purchased in 2004, used for around 6000 trail miles. Weighs 2.5oz, so there are lighter alternatives out there, but for the slimmer sleeve I feel it is worth it as it allows a broader trail diet. ...

In Stoves - Alcohol
September 08, 10:15am

Western Mountaineering Pod 30
Purchased in 2005, used for entire CDT, 10-day Tibet trek, Iceland thruhike, 6 months hiking in NZ, plus about another 1000 or so miles. Weighs 17 oz after cutting off pad sleeve. Only downsid...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
September 08, 10:12am

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3
I recently purchased this for a thruhike of Iceland based on its' weight. It performed well, but let me explain... The foot-end of the tent is lower than the head-end, plus the vestibules are ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 08, 10:06am

Dirty Girl Gaiters
These would be a 5 if the supplied adhesive strip resisting peeling after very wet days. Superglue was the answer and has held the velcro down wonderfully. Very breathable (and I'm a sweater...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 08, 9:59am