Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

joe newton (holdfast) - BPL Guest

My Locale Bergen, Norway
About Me 40 years old and currently living in Bergen, Norway although originally from England.
My Website URLhttp://thunderinthenight.blogspot.com/
My PDF Gear ListDownload my Gear List (PDF)

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by joe newton

Showing 141 - 150 of 199 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Forum » Thread

Re: ideal shoes
Dave - we're looking for the same shoe! When we find it we have to let each other know! Andrew - if you haven't tried the Inov8 310 and 330 then give them a go, they're the Inov8s th...

In Editor's Roundtable » GoLite Footwear Competition and Fire Reviews
November 19, 1:35am

Re: Re: Softshell Pants - need help
I'll second Chris' recommendation for the Patagonia Traverse. Lightweight, stretchy and really good for high aerobic activities. I've used mine for cross country skiing over a pair of m...

In GEAR » Softshell Pants - need help
November 19, 1:17am

Re: Re: Re: GoLite Footwear Competition and Fire Reviews
Adrian - I think the uppers can be made light and durable (like some sandals out there as you rightly point out) but the softer, grippier soles will always wear faster I think, like racing car tyres.

November 18, 3:57pm

Re: GoLite Footwear Competition and Fire Reviews
Interesting discussion, I thought I'd add my observations: Firstly I've come to realise that we can't expect these very light shoes we wear to last anywhere near what we got out of h...

November 18, 3:23pm

Re: excellent
Agreed! Brilliant video. Highly motivational.

In Editor's Roundtable » 24: Nine Months 'til Summer
November 17, 4:34pm

Re: "Polyester-Merino Wool Baselayer Idea"
I use a Norwegian brand of clothing that has a range with a similar construction to the HH Warm garments. I use the Devold Active (http://www.devold.no/outdoor/default.aspx?menu=123&collection=...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Polyester-Merino Wool Baselayer Idea
November 06, 3:30am

Re: "Ultralight Outdoor Gear in the UK"
Great company, good communications and service. You won't be dissapointed.

In GEAR » Ultralight Outdoor Gear in the UK
October 20, 11:18am

Re: "I, CJW: Hiking and Climbing in Japan"
Another fan here. Every post has expletive inducing photography.

In On the Web » I, CJW: Hiking and Climbing in Japan
October 04, 5:55am

Why not?!
Sorry Johann, I agree with Matt. I spent the majority of last winter in the mountains of Norway wearing a Montane Lite-Speed wind-shirt over Power Stretch or Power Dry tops. Excellent, adaptable sy...

In GEAR » Wind Shirt Questions
October 01, 6:38am

Re: "Salomon XA Comp vs. Salomon XA Pro 3D"
After messing around for ages trying to fit a replacement pair of Speed Laces I simply replaced the laces on my Salomon XA Comps with spare pair of Inov8 laces. It was only slightly more fiddly tha...

In GEAR » Salomon XA Comp vs. Salomon XA Pro 3D
September 29, 2:18pm

All Reader Reviews by joe newton

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
Pretty much the bible when it comes to winter backcountry travel and camping, and not just on skis. Knowledgeable, interesting, humorous and Mike's illustrations are cute and technically astute. ...

In Books and Media
June 13, 11:31am

Terra Nova Laser Competition
Couldn't agree more with the other reviewer. It's a cinch to set up and while there are a couple of obvious tiny compromises to keep the weight low (single zip on the door, etc) it really is a...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
July 16, 11:03am

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased the Short version of this much lauded/derided sleeping mat and have to say it proved to be nothing less than exceptional. I'm a smidge over 6 feet and around 190lbs and once I realised...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 15, 3:10pm

Inov-8 Debrisgaiter
I agree with Sam's review above. The Inov-8 Debris Gaiter is almost perfect. The fit and functionality of the product was just what I was looking for when trail running and backpacking. Stretch...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 22, 4:04am

Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spoon
I swapped my previously beloved Primus folding Ti spork for the Alphalight spoon (long version) for a couple of reasons. The Alphalight is longer (no more messy knuckles when eating freeze-dried meals...

In Cookware - Other
May 22, 3:34am

Montane Lite-speed
I've been wearing this jacket for over a year now and it gets used maybe three times a week for hiking, backpacking, road and trail running. It is light, packable and just weather resistant enough...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 22, 3:22am

Optimus (Brunton in US) Folding Ti Spork
I already had a Light My Fire plastic spork which worked perfectly well, weighed next to nothing, cost a couple of quid but kept getting lost in my food/cooking bag. When I was looking to 'streaml...

In Cookware - Titanium
July 28, 6:19am