BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking about 98. Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit faster iot experience scenic hikes. Done with my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangable UL to semi SUL whatever that is).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 141 - 150 of 1003 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...101

Forum » Thread

Temp range??Re: Gila alternative
What temp range are you looking at? The Gila is in the Chihuahuan desert (NM, far west TX) and along with the Great Basin deserts (UT, NV parts of ID, CO and boundary areas like northern AZ ) are ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Gila alternative
December 23, 6:02pm

Grand Canyon UL Dec 2013
FInally got some vacation time, so the Grand Canyon interested me since December - February normally see less people. True enough, my permit arrived a few days after my request (the rangers told m...

In Post-Trip Reports » Grand Canyon UL Dec 2013
December 23, 8:15am

Re: Sticker bushes!! Help!!
Yeah, the Big Bend area can be nice this time of year but the SP trails can be overgrown with ocotillo at torso length and prickly pear at leg level. You keep your eyes peeled for sharp stuff but ...

In GEAR » Sticker bushes!! Help!!
December 22, 8:01am

Snow and cold in the desert ...
Weather is short term and can get freaky ... while climate is long term (geography and ecology courses) and hopefully doesn't get freaky.A cold front just needs to hit tropical moisture just ri...

In Chaff » Snow In Egypt For First Time In Over 100 Years?
December 15, 3:53pm

Re: Attention Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt users!
I'm sold but have only used it to 30F so far (most days warmer than avg in Arizona and New Mexico) not tieing it to my pad and ventilating a bit (which is one reason I got it). In a couple da...

In GEAR » Attention Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt users!
December 15, 3:35pm

Re: Bataan March New Mexico advice
I'll likely be there solo to to test myself out (plan on doing some "sand" walks leading up to the actual miles). Think the footwear advice is correct as a friend of mine lost all he...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bataan March New Mexico advice
December 15, 3:29pm

Re: New to BPL and learning.
Feels great doesn't it? Why lug the weight if not needed and some of the UL stuff has such a low volume, a daypack could do for warmer temps. I owned the Gregory Reality ... great, feature r...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New to BPL and learning.
December 14, 10:05pm

Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs.
I'm not one to give out unsolicited advice and some large looking packs can actually be light (filled with down and Cuben fiber). In fact, the opposite may occur zipping down the trail. Passi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs.
December 14, 9:28pm

Re: Advice- pack for both travel and backpacking
I would check out Kristin and Danny's gear list if that interests you. A number of other hikers carry some sort of computer tablet or smartphone to blog using regular UL backpacks (even a sil G...

In GEAR » Advice- pack for both travel and backpacking
December 13, 9:30pm

Insulation for changing metabolisms
Following the down jacket threads, I find myself shopping for the lightest down hoody that has the most insulation value (something like Montbell's Mirage Parka). Looking at BMR calculations (...

In GEAR » Insulation for changing metabolisms
December 13, 9:00am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.