Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt (just started 6 weeks off). Heavy gear in the mid-90's when I was young and stoopid, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013 over 15 yrs (older and er, ...)

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 141 - 150 of 1259 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...126

Forum » Thread

Pad with helium
I was using a Neoair (short) with a pack or pine needles for my feet, partially inflated. Think the Neoair compressed enough when I rolled that it was only a minor factor. A thin foam pad from Go...

In GEAR » Anyone have any experience w/ OR's Helium bivy?
August 01, 7:54am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone have any experience w/ OR's Helium bivy?
Mike- we just had a thread on the helium mostly. I just finished using it and, if you can fit, it's alright. I used it for an impromptu trip to Point Reyes and surroundings next to the Pacif...

In GEAR » Anyone have any experience w/ OR's Helium bivy?
August 01, 7:33am

Re: Re. PCT Southern California - early start. Water, San Jacinto snow pack...?
Another question (water wise) is how a decent El NiƱo (as predicted) might affect that stretch of the PCT (and the rest of it)

In Pre-Trip Planning » PCT Southern California - early start
July 31, 1:40pm

Re: PCT Southern California - early start
Reading the pct blogs, some take off for weddings, or drink beer at major cities (sign me up!!), ... so I wouldn't see a problem in terms of HYOH. If doing the PCT, I'd probably have to ta...

In Pre-Trip Planning » PCT Southern California - early start
July 31, 8:51am

Re: Vandalism of wilderness signs
I'd agree with Ken in the US, there's always been shooting up rural signs. I would lay the blame on that segment of the population that displays the "wilderness - land of no use"...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Vandalism of wilderness signs
July 31, 8:34am

Re: DEET and dyneema
In the interests of science, I sprayed both water bottle pockets with water from a spritzer and the side soaked in DEET lost a little beading ability and seemed to soak up a little more. Lucky thi...

In GEAR » DEET and dyneema
July 30, 6:57pm

Fabric with dyneema grid
Yes is the pack fabric with Dyneema grid pattern, so assuming it's nylon (must find who switched my coffee to decaf this am). I've seen some posts where nylon is supposedly not affected bu...

July 30, 12:42pm

DEET and dyneema
Anyone else have experience with 100% DEET getting on Dyneema (same Dyneema as GG packs btw)? Had the cap work itself lose while in a water bottle pocket of one of my ZB-2's, but noticed it a ...

July 30, 11:08am

Updating my cool to cold and wet gear
Cool to cold and possibly wet -talking central to southern Rockies as the monsoons roll through (or not), central California coast this winter, and perhaps Vermont - or use with present 60L-ish Zi...

In Gear Lists » Updating my cool to cold and wet gear
July 30, 10:43am

Re: Fire in El Portal / Yosemite NPS
Here's an updated article from the LA Times with photos and a unique twist - someone was flying a drone I guess for info purposes but fire officials feel it poses a threat to firefighting aircr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fire in El Portal / Yosemite NPS
July 29, 7:19am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.