Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), but also a bit better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 141 - 150 of 1395 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...140

Forum » Thread

Irony...
Love the swami in India by way of Texas in the linked oped. ...,Dude. Insightful but of course a Cartier jeweler ad pop-up via the NYT hit as I was reading. Ed: tense

In On the Web » Collect Experiences, Not Things
December 14, 1:44pm

Trail runners for shoulder and light winter
Looking at trail runners that can take me thru some decent rain/snow (nothing too fluffy) and have a rock plate. Have some old TNF Hedgehogs with a vibram outsole but just found the x2 midsole cra...

In GEAR » Trail runners for shoulder and light winter
December 13, 3:36pm

Re: What's your winter bag temp rating?
My cold temp rating is 0°F , so going to try nesting my 2 EE quilts (20°F plus 40°F, one wider than the other) ... probably in a XL bivy. At 0°F hot breakfast starts icing over without an insu...

In Winter Hiking » What's your winter bag temp rating?
December 13, 12:15pm

Re: Liberal/Conservative Primer
By basic definition, I would think a conservative wants to repeal change (in the USA, to pre "New Deal" policies ideally, though I've listened to many conservatives wishing to keep SS...

In Chaff » Liberal/Conservative Primer
December 13, 9:37am

Bears Re: Backpacking Solo?
Most black bear run away but one who didn't was a big guy who crossed the trail right in front of me with no sound or warning from the adjacent trees. Simply ignored me on its way to a fishing...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Backpacking Solo?
December 09, 8:53pm

Re: Grand Canyon Access for All
If the other tribe has a successful skywalk, it's understandable the eastern tribe would want one (though it needs to be remembered the western one is accessible from Las Vegas - makes a differ...

In On the Web » Grand Canyon Access for All
December 04, 11:57am

Re: Colorado Trail 2013
Really enjoyed viewing a few times.

In Post-Trip Reports » Colorado Trail 2013
December 03, 12:02pm

New Mexico Fall
Just a reminder fall does not mean you need to start hibernation. Been busy at work, dealing with difficult neighbors, but here's some open trails this past month: Sandia wilderness area n...

In Post-Trip Reports » New Mexico Fall
December 03, 12:00pm

Hardship ... AT
Enjoyed her candid responses. Interesting.

In Editor's Roundtable » Clinker: A story of hardship and triumph on the AT
December 03, 6:33am

Re: cook/no-cook: who has tried both and what weight diff did you find?
As everyone mrationed a little more moisture in the food but saves the weight of stove, fuel, and pot. Also on a hot and dry backpack, warm food isn't appealing until the sun dips. Minor c...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » cook/no-cook: who has tried both and what weight diff did you find?
December 02, 8:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.