BPL Community Profile

Mary D (hikinggranny) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
About Me 60-odd years of hiking and backpacking experience, mostly in Rockies and in Pacific Northwest. Relatively recent convert (started 6 years ago) to lightweight backpacking. Continue to do a lot of gear research to lighten load further.
StateOregon
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mary D

Showing 141 - 150 of 2713 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...272

Forum » Thread

Which ULA pack when you need more volume?
+2 on checking out the SMD Starlite. With the "optional" (mandatory, IMHO) stays it will support at least 35 lbs. comfortably. And it's plenty roomy (too big for me). It's a po...

In GEAR » Which ULA pack when you need more volume?
April 26, 11:12am

Pasayten Wilderness
Boundary Trail in the Pasayten Wilderness. 90 miles end to end (Iron Gate to the PCT) plus (I think) 30 miles south on the PCT to hike out. Requires very long car shuttle or drop-off/pickup betwe...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 2 week backpack trip in North Cascades
April 25, 1:57pm

Gossamer Gear - The One?
As of late September 2012: I spoke with Grant at the ALDHA meeting. He says that spinnaker fabric is definitely dead and that they are investigating several new fabrics. There are also continuin...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear - The One?
April 25, 1:42pm

Critter Tracks On and Around Nick Eaton Ridge
A lot of those nocturnal green eyes turn out to be deer or various other animals. At least that's what I've found when I focused my headlamp directly on the source of the eyes. I remember...

In Post-Trip Reports » Critter Tracks On and Around Nick Eaton Ridge
April 23, 3:51pm

"Do any of you forgo cooking food altogether?"
I don't forgo "cooking" altogether, but I do take a couple of no-cook dinners for those times I'm too tired to fire up the stove (often the first night). Things like hummus and t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do any of you forgo cooking food altogether?
April 23, 1:03am

Single GG LT4
GG will, I understand, sell you a single pole.

In Gear Swap » WTB: Single GG LT4
April 22, 8:55pm

No knives, after all
Per the LA Times http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-tsa-to-delay-allowing-small-knives-on-planes-20130422,0,3679780.story this also includes ski/trekking poles and other items for wh...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » TSA to allow pocketknives, some sports equipment
April 22, 8:48pm

Fire restrictions
You should know that most places that have campfire restrictions also prohibit wood-burning stoves. One reason for prohibiting campfires is wanting to leave the wood to rot and contribute orga...

In GEAR » Wood burning stove for a REAL camp fire?
April 22, 6:00pm

Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2
I'm trying to decide which is my favorite picture. I think it's the last one with Flora and Fany setting up the tent!

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2: Trekking with a Toddler
April 16, 11:41pm

Personal first aid kit
I agree with Mark! Each person should have a small amount of basic first aid stuff; everything else can go in a group kit. As for the others--please do read carefully that Leave No Trace link...

In GEAR » Some general hiking questions
April 15, 8:08am

All Reader Reviews by Mary D

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased a short NeoAir in late May of 2009 from REI (using the 20% off coupon, which made it a less exorbitant purchase). The prospect of an air mat that was considerably lighter than my POE Insu...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
June 10, 3:22pm

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
So far I have found several uses for the 1/8" GG Thinlight pad: (1) Dog sleeping pad (cut to 36" long). It's just right for my 80-lb. dog who sleeps curled up in a ball. He's ...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 18, 6:49pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
I used these back in the mid-1980's to disinfect drinking water (that's about all that was available then other than filters or boiling). After one month, using them only on weekends, I broke...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 07, 6:44pm

Big Agnes Pumphouse Multi-Use Dry Sack and Pad Pump
I purchased a Big Agnes Pumphouse soon after they came on the market in the summer of 2007. It is advertised on the BA web site as a "...pad pump, dry sack, stuff sack, pillow, water carrier, ba...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 18, 2:54pm

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack
In the past, I've read in a number of places (including Jim Wood's excellent article on "Keeping Your Critical Gear Dry") that these sacks have failed the submersion test. This prob...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 18, 2:07pm

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
My POE Insulmat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo, but I got the old model on closeout) just finished its second backpacking season. I'm in my early 70's so these old bones and joints ain...

October 17, 5:34pm

Big Agnes Clearview
I know that this pad is supposedly the same thickness as my POE InsulMat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo). However, it has more tubes, which seem to make it effectively thinner. The Clearview has t...

October 17, 5:01pm

SteriPen Adventurer
My big complaint with the Steripen Adventurer is that I could not work the switch! It's fine for those with big strong hands (the kind who regularly open jars for their SO), but not for me (I can...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
October 17, 1:52pm

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
I bought a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (e) in June of 2007 and used it through two backpacking seasons. First of all, I need to point out that my Labrador retriever backpacks with me (he's part...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
October 17, 1:28pm

Backcountrygear.com
I am a relatively recent convert to lightweight backpacking (I didn't know all this wonderful stuff existed--you'd never know it from a trip through REI or by reading Backpacker) and this is m...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 17, 12:38pm