BPL Community Profile

USA Duane Hall (hikerduane) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
About Me I'm 60, single male. I had been in Retail Management for over 30 years. I have mostly solo bped since the early mid '70's. I XC some, not afraid to go alone, I also solo winter camp, even out in sub-zero temps. A few years ago, I went on a backcountry bp to Alaska, where I flew in by bush plane with five others into Wrangell/St. Elias NP. Since early 2010, I have been collecting vintage/antique camping and bp stoves, having acquired over 90 now. I like many outdoor activities, from bping to dirtbike riding, gardening.
CityMeadow Valley
StateCA
CountryUS Of A

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by USA Duane Hall

Showing 141 - 150 of 1583 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...159

Forum » Thread

New pump and old pump
Could have been a bad part. Putting too much "English" maybe on the pump plunger or you cracked it during the rebuild? :) Do you recall if having to hold the plunger hard to maybe replac...

In GEAR » MSR white gas stove pump failure
January 01, 1:49pm

MSR white gas stove pump failure
You mentioned the stove is only a few years old. The white disc sounds like part of the check valve for an older, yellow MSR pump. Yours should have had a spring and ball check valve. Do you hav...

In GEAR » MSR white gas stove pump failure
January 01, 12:16pm

Lurker/former member challenge for Jan 2014-Become a BPL paying member
I challenge at least five people/lurkers to become BPL members for at least a year or for former members to pay for a year or life during January. To renew, you have to of let your membership laps...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lurker/former member challenge for Jan 2014-Become a BPL paying member
January 01, 9:44am

Old trails
I like trying to find old, non-maintained trails, going off of old maps I've had since the 70's. Part of one is down in the Emigrant Wilderness and two in Desolation Wilderness, around Two...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Great Poster Map of Sierra Nevada - A Recomendation
December 29, 4:43pm

Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection
I'm guessing I had an owl swoop in one time in the Marble Mt Wilderness here in N CA. My dog and I were sleeping on the ground cloth and had a mouse trying to make off with my food. In hand t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection
December 29, 8:01am

Great Poster Map of Sierra Nevada - A Recomendation
It's good to know they have the complete Sierra Nevada. I got a set of maps maybe 20 years ago, they cut off the Sierra at Yosemite. The Sierra Nevada goes further north to just about Lassen ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Great Poster Map of Sierra Nevada - A Recomendation
December 29, 7:54am

WPL Int'l stoves are great
I'm still using my recently retired Int'l from '89. I had it out Christmas Eve, melted snow great and as a hand warmer Christmas AM in -2F temps after heating coffee water. Duane

In Gear Swap » FS: Whisperlite International Stove
December 28, 12:53am

BPL Biker in a wilderness
I agree. Depends on capital W or lower case. NF land can be considered wilderness in many places. Duane

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » BPL Biker in a wilderness
December 27, 11:26am

BPL Biker in a wilderness
Motorized or wheeled vehicles are not allowed in Wilderness or designated hiking trails. Bikes are allowed on trails in Forest Service land. There may be some exceptions, other wise cars or truck...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » BPL Biker in a wilderness
December 27, 8:58am

2wd front wheel drive car in the sierra nevadas
Bob, I used to manage a convenience store in Plumas County, that is what officers told me. It may also involve how they see the situation when they come across it. Duane

In GEAR » 2wd front wheel drive car in the sierra nevadas...
December 26, 1:57pm

All Reader Reviews by USA Duane Hall

USA Duane Hall has posted no reviews.