BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 141 - 150 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Vests
"Having puffy arms and legs can be annoying when you are trying to use those arms and legs hiking or working around camp." This cracked me up because I immediately imagined camping wit...

In GEAR » I don't know how to wear a vest
October 12, 12:42pm

Re: Lost Contax T3 - suggestions for new camera
What a shame. The T3 is/was the best compact 35mm camera made and clean used ones go for big bucks. The X100 would certainly be a good digital replacement as would the just announced X10, at con...

In Photography » Lost Contax T3 - suggestions for new camera
October 10, 10:29am

Re: "Storing camera in below freeszing temps"
Agreed, keep it in a ziplock or dry bag overnight and it should be fine. When they get REALLY cold the lubrication can seize up, but I've only had that happen well below freezing. Enjoy your...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Storing camera in below freeszing temps
October 09, 3:04pm

Re: CDAF/PDAF
Phase-detection focus is the current speed champ and the gap is closing quickly, but it's not there yet. The three new Olympus µ4/3 bodies added parallel CDAF processors that take them closer ...

In Photography » A question for the Photographers
October 09, 11:25am

Re: $1,000 hike in the Placerville/South Tahoe area?
Hi Jim and, uh, ouch. If you'd like to test your clutch against Wright's Lake road again, you could go over Rockbound Pass and head for any number of lakes in the area. The only hitch is th...

In Pre-Trip Planning » $1,000 hike in the Placerville/South Tahoe area?
October 07, 4:52pm

Re: Unmanageable wetness this weekend
My sympathies. Rainy and just above freezing are pretty much my textbook definition of miserable, and reminiscent of the PNW. What kind of bivy is it? Was dew soaking through or were you getting hi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Unmanageable wetness this weekend
October 04, 1:10pm

Re: Emigrant Wilderness Lake Tour 9/29 to 10/2
Hi Dave, very nice report and photos. How were the Hyatt Lake campsites? Last time I was there ('08) it had burned recently and most of the north shore campsites were unusable. http://farm4....

In Post-Trip Reports » Emigrant Wilderness Lake Tour 9/29 to 10/2
October 04, 10:43am

Re: Wildlife shooting with m4/3s
Hi Mark, The Redrock Canon adapter is kind of a goofy thing. Evidently the Canon aperture drive is electronic and the adapter provides power to close it in third-stop increments (default at rest...

October 03, 4:58pm

Re: Water filter freeze prevention
The MSR Hyperflow cartridge or the Sawyer cartridge go into a Ziplock in my sleeping bag on sub-freezing nights, but I've never used them in weather that was below freezing 24/7 so haven't ...

In Winter Hiking » Water filter freeze prevention
October 03, 10:53am

Re: Wildlife shooting with m4/3s
It might be helpful to remember µ4/3 is but three years old--quite an infant in the industry but nevertheless has exploded in terms of available gear. The two key participants are on their third g...

October 03, 10:48am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm