BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 141 - 150 of 391 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: UL Liquor bottle
" I dont think I will ever use it again after having whiskey leak out overnight into my backpack" Sounds like Nirvana . . . this would definitely make me think my sleep set up was good...

In GEAR » UL Liquor bottle
October 30, 7:21pm

Re: Fats, Saturated, Trans, etc. While Hiking
I guess this means we should eat grass fed beef jerky. (I have a dehydrator, so this won't be difficult.)

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Fats, Saturated, Trans, etc. While Hiking
October 28, 9:42pm

Fats, Saturated, Trans, etc. While Hiking
Any nutrition experts out there? I've been trying to wrap my mind (or stomach, as the case may be) around how bad food affects me on the trail. I tend to hike at 3 mph over the course of th...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Fats, Saturated, Trans, etc. While Hiking
October 28, 6:41pm

Re: What do you do for a living?
I work for the State Department; which is good, since by sending me to Tajikistan for my first assignment eight years ago, I initially got into backpacking.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What do you do for a living?
October 25, 5:17pm

Been There, Not Excited About It
Howdy, I've used almost exactly the same set up with the Hydrogen, Alpine Light Parka, Down pants, hat, even booties down to around 28-30 but I wouldn't want to do it again. Particularl...

In GEAR » Extending 30 degree bag into mid-20s
October 04, 3:06pm

Re: AT Winter Thru-Hike gear suggestions
If I were you, I'd opt for an MLD Duomid (cuben, if you can swing it) and enjoy the bug-free conditions with a lot of weight-savings. It works great in the type of snowfall you can expect hiki...

In Gear Lists » AT Winter Thru-Hike gear suggestions.
October 01, 7:33am

Heat Loss and Pads
How cold might some of your nights be? One of the critical uses of a sleeping pad (apart from comfort and quality of sleep) is keeping your body from losing heat from beneath you. I would argue t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Necessity of Sleeping Pads?
August 10, 8:59am

Steripen
Go with the Steripen. It's a lovely thing: treat it well and it will treat you (and your water) well. I've used both the classic and the Adventurer Opti once a month or so since 2007 wit...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Filter vs Steripen
August 10, 7:01am

Early Days in the Range of Light
A buddy got me into reading Daniel Arnold's book "Early Days in the Range of Light: Encounters with Legendary Mountaineers." It's a great read for information about 19th century ...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Early Days in the Range of Light
August 08, 9:18am

Portland
"PS: Portland is a great city in which to start drinking." Amen. My wife is from Portland and I thank her every time we come back to see her parents and friends. Greatest breweries a...

In Chaff » Touristy things to do in Portland Oregon
August 04, 11:23am

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm