BPL Community Profile

Mina Loomis (elmvine) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me I have been backpacking on and off in the western US since college in the early 1970's. Summer 1970 a bunch of us spent a week in the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon barefoot with blankets, book bags, and no proper gear at all. Now I coordinate youth backpacking for our Camp Fire USA council, and enjoy taking the kids to the mountains. I hope to take up more long distance walking after retirement.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.camp-fire.org
My PDF Gear ListJMT 2011 Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mina Loomis

Showing 141 - 150 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Wonderland Trail 8/3-8/12, 2009
August 16, 2009 Only a week ago we were setting out from Devils Dream camp on Mt. Rainier’s west side. Following an idyllic stroll through Indian Henry’s, and a brief wrong turn at Tahoma Cr...

In Post-Trip Reports » Wonderland Trail 8/3-8/12, 2009
September 28, 3:59pm

SOLD
Sold on Amazon, where I listed it more recently. Sometimes a larger market is helpful for something like this lens, which admittedly has limited application, since it only works with two camera mo...

In Gear Swap » FS: Wide angle converter lens for Nikon Coolpix P5000
September 17, 11:29am

large pot cooking on bb
I use my bushbuddy with its sp 900 pot whenever I can. I love it. Once, though, on a group trip, I tried using it to heat up a lot of water in an Open Country 4 qt. aluminum pot with lid. Even...

In GEAR » Bushbuddy use with larger pots
September 13, 10:28pm

Transportation, continued...
Well. I just spoke with an old friend in Portland, who is game for an excursion to Mt. Rainier on Sunday 8/2, and would be glad to smash us into her minivan for the trip around from Frying Pan Cre...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Wonderland Trail
July 23, 8:15pm

P6000
Poking around on the web, it looks like the P6000 takes a different one. Looks nearly identical but is called WC-E76 and takes adapter ring UR-E21 instead of UR-E20. So I am guessing not. But ...

In Gear Swap » FS: Wide angle converter lens for Nikon Coolpix P5000
July 22, 9:26pm

Wonderland transportation
Sarah, that is a relief to hear that the road to Mowich is usable. It didn't occur to me to question that, since the park treats it as a regular trailhead. So I was taken aback by that post o...

July 21, 10:09pm

Mincemeat, currants, recipes
Laurie Ann, A recipe would be swell! If you post it here maybe some other folks would like it too. Michael, Thanks for the link. The box kind isn't showing up as available anywhere near me...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Mincemeat
July 14, 9:36am

Thanks for Wonderland advice! Road to Mowich?
I really appreciate all the insights and advice. I am leaning towards borrowing the tarptent just in case of mosquitoes. Not much of a problem for me, but my husband is a mosquito magnet. St...

July 13, 8:18pm

Mincemeat
In June Fleming's The Well-fed Backpacker, on page 121, there's a recipe called Orange-Mincemeat Bars that I'd really like to try. It calls for "1 1/2 cups prepared mincemeat.&quo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Mincemeat
July 13, 7:58pm

Klearwater situation
I just spoke with them on the phone. (They have numbers & emails posted on www.klearwater.com). The rep said that the military operations in Afghanistan have been absorbing this as fast as th...

In GEAR » Water Filter Failure
July 13, 11:22am

All Reader Reviews by Mina Loomis

Mina Loomis has posted no reviews.