BPL Community Profile

Kathy A Handyside (earlymusicus) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Southeastern Michigan
About Me I'm getting back into backpacking after several years' hiatus. All my gear was circa 1979, so I've been gradually replacing it with lightweight new equipment. I will be retiring in 4 more years and then plan to do all the trails I've dreamed of doing. I also love xc-skiing and mt. biking. I plan to move to Oregon for retirement. Besides the outdoors, I love early and classical music;I play Baroque recorder and harpsichord. I'm a bookworm, I enjoy writing and quiet get-togethers with close friends.
CitySouthgate
StateMichigan
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kathy A Handyside

Showing 141 - 150 of 172 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Forum » Thread

Re: Rapids, Wolves, and Winter
Wonderful photos and article. What a beautiful area! However, I was disappointed to hear about the snowmobiles being there. When will manufacturers cut down on the noise and pollution produced b...

In Editor's Roundtable » Rapids, Wolves, and Winter
June 09, 3:15pm

"Everything Weighs Something"
What a great article, Charles! I felt I was reading my backpacking life story. I'm a 58-year-old woman who bought all her backpacking gear in the 1970s, after a month-long Outward Bound trip. T...

In Editor's Roundtable » Everything Weighs Something
May 04, 2:57pm

Knotless PCT bear bag hang
Brilliant, Josh! And that's a great instructional video. You're really good at explaining and demonstrating. You'd be a great instructor. Thanks for sharing!

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: Knotless PCT Bear Bag Hang
April 29, 11:24pm

Marmot Venus Jacket Review
I find that I prefer men's designs in everything now. I'm so tired of the cutesy fashion statements of women's outdoor clothing! I want something practical and comfortable that also has...

In Editor's Roundtable » Marmot Venus Jacket Review
April 12, 10:10pm

"Crater Lake Snowshoe Video Essay"
What a fantastic trip! The videos are great! I'm so glad to see this, especially since I may be moving to the Klamath Falls area in the near future. I'm glad to see that that area gets snow...

In Editor's Roundtable » Crater Lake Snowshoe Video Essay
March 20, 10:29pm

Neat Idea!
I think the JakPak is a great idea that could fly once the issues with weight, fit, and breathability are addressed. I like the idea of it for homeless. And Eric Krumland is right about the hom...

In Editor's Roundtable » JakPak All-In-One Garment Review
March 19, 9:17pm

Three Sisters Backpacking
I'm planning a move to Oregon in the near future, so I love articles about great places to backpack there. Wonderful article and photos. Thanks so much.

In Editor's Roundtable » Three Sisters Backpacking
March 05, 9:41pm

Forgot ---
Forgot to mention that it's an alcohol stove; they sell a bigger set that can burn wood, alcohol, or Esbit fuel tabs.

In GEAR » Evernew EBY255 TiDX Stove Set
March 01, 6:51pm

Evernew EBY255 TiDX Stove Set
Has anyone seen or used this new stove set-up by Evernew? The burner looks like the Trangia burner except it's made of titanium. The whole stove set-up only weighs 3 oz. It's definitely not...

In GEAR » Evernew EBY255 TiDX Stove Set
March 01, 6:50pm

"Be Prepard, Not Equipped"
Brad - Excellent article! I think if I were going to teach an intro-to-lightweight-backpacking class, I'd use your article as a place to begin. I began lightening my load a year or so ago. N...

In Editor's Roundtable » Be Prepared, Not Equipped
February 03, 8:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Kathy A Handyside

Kathy A Handyside has posted no reviews.