BPL Community Profile

Dale Wambaugh (dwambaugh) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Native Seattlite, hiking and biking in the woods since I was a kid. Returned to backpacking a couple years ago and discovered the pleasures ultralight hiking-- it appeals to my gadgeteering nature and my aging body parts :)
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Ultralight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dale Wambaugh

Showing 141 - 150 of 7170 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...717

Forum » Thread

Re: tarp?
Ponchos are minimalist shelters at best and this one is a. little smaller than the GoLite. It would make a better than nothing at all emergency shelter, although if the weather was bad, I might pre...

In Gear Deals » Red Ledge Backpacker Poncho at REI $17
March 13, 9:51pm

Re: TreeBoat Hammock - experience ?
It is a variation on a bridge style hammock. Check out Warbonnet's version at 1/3 the weight: http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/ridgerunner-hammock/

In Hammocks » TreeBoat Hammock - experience ?
March 13, 7:29pm

Re: Re: reworked list
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water on essentials. Do carry a knife, whistle, some redundant fire starters, first aid kit, lighting and the rest of the classic essentials, but find the...

In Gear Lists » My Gear List w/ Photos!
March 13, 7:20pm

Re: Acu-Rite thermometer: question
Does it show the minimum since the last time it was cleared? In other words, it wasn't the lowest that night, but another time?

In GEAR » Acu-Rite thermometer: question
March 12, 10:56pm

Re: JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs
The 82.9 ounce McHale pack screams at me :) Scratch the squishy cup and bowl The 1.3 liter pot is big for solo use Don't know what is in your 7.2oz medical kit. If that is all first aid, t...

In Gear Lists » JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs
March 12, 7:49pm

Re: My Gear List w/ Photos!
Read through the gear lists here and bone up on layering/clothing techniques. Base weights don't included consumables like food, water and fuel, nor clothing that is worn. I include my pants an...

In Gear Lists » My Gear List w/ Photos!
March 12, 7:12pm

Re: Learning to Packraft: Ten First Steps for Backcountry Travelers
I think packrafts are a great alternative where you must hike to get water access; otherwise, I would much rather have a kayak. A packraft is a very minimal watercraft and deserves some caution...

In Editor's Roundtable » Learning to Packraft: Ten First Steps for Backcountry Travelers
March 12, 3:22pm

Re: Tarp camping in the rain
Tarps can be light, but you pay in exposure. I think they are viable for summer use in forested areas, but can't imagine a blow above treeline. Rain isn't so much the problem, but WIND will...

In GEAR » Tarp camping in the rain
March 12, 1:15pm

Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece?
The Therm-a-Rest Tech Blanket is a good model. It has a drawstring and snaps eton form a foot box and more snaps to attach it to your pad. It is too heavy at 21.2 oz, but very compact and simple. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece?
March 12, 10:29am

Re: Re: "Pilgrimage" trails in the USA
Alpo asked, "Or do people have to jump from daypack-sandwiches-picnics straight to tentliving-portablestovecooking-bearbagging? That's one big leap involving a pile of new gear and skills....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking and wild camping in Europe: Legal aspects
March 12, 10:06am

All Reader Reviews by Dale Wambaugh

Dale Wambaugh has posted no reviews.