BPL Community Profile

Peter McDonough (crazypete) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Above the Divided Line
About Me I backpack as the Studliest Studly Studmuffin of Studly Studliness who ever Studlied himself out of Studlyville.

I cut a large path while leaving no trace and carring less than three pounds in my pack.

If you want knowledge of some real scientific prinicples, talk to me and I will guide you to the sun.

See you on the other side.

And remember to keep to the mean.
CityForm of the Good
StateThe City
CountryUS of A

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Peter McDonough

Showing 141 - 150 of 221 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: clove hitches? (was Re: Re: re;)
Sam, its aloooot easier to adjust an 11 mm rope clove hitch around a biner than it is around a stake. If you don't believe me try it yourself. A pretied tautline is the way to go.

In GEAR » Tarp Book
August 17, 11:51pm

Re: Re: clove hitches? (was Re: Re: re;)
Well whatever, its a pain to tie a knot on every stake and then have the pulley point be on the tie out rather than the smooth stake, making it harder to tension... but whatever floats your boat

In GEAR » Tarp Book
August 17, 10:07pm

Re: re;
Personally, there are no books that I have read that include decent instruction on tarping. Start with this: Do you want a shaped tarp like a Hex3 or a Gatewood cap or a catenary cut tarp? O...

In GEAR » Tarp Book
August 17, 9:09pm

Re: golite hex 3
Or hang it from a line strung between two trees. Use a trucker's hitch to winch that line tight, and then tie the top of the Hex to that line.

In GEAR » golite hex 3
August 17, 8:33pm

Re: Re: Re: clove hitches? (was Re: Re: re;)
Yes but when using ultralight cord, the knots can become stuck on the stakes, and they won't slide off easily. Why wouldn't you have the guylines permantly attached to the tarp? Are you using a p...

In GEAR » Tarp Book
August 17, 8:31pm

Re: clove hitches? (was Re: Re: re;)
A) It is a pain to remove from the stake, and if you tie with a quick release, it is not as secure. B) It is non adjustible like tautlines are C) You have to tie a clove hitch for every stake, wh...

In GEAR » Tarp Book
August 17, 8:13pm

Re: re;
The only reason to buy his tarp book is if you want to sew a tarp and want his pattern. Otherwise, his book has an exceedingly lame description of the way to set up the tarp, and how to deal with ...

In GEAR » Tarp Book
August 17, 5:06pm

Re: titanium poles for the golite lair 1
Titanium is heavy for poles... try: titaniumgoat.com gossamergear.com mountainlaureldesigns.com outdoor wilderness fabrics pole replacement kit etc

In GEAR » titanium poles for the golite lair 1
August 16, 11:24pm

Re: Quilt User's Bivy 5.8 oz
So you put your head on the dirt??

In GEAR » Quilt User's Bivy 5.8 oz
August 10, 10:40pm

New Tent
I need 15 2-3 person 3 season tents that will be used 5-6 nights a year. They need to be light. I'm looking at the Tarptents right now---anyone have any suggestions?? Oh yes, and tarps like the ...

In GEAR » New Tent
August 09, 10:20pm

All Reader Reviews by Peter McDonough

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

GoLite Ether Wind Shirt (Wisp HP)
Of course you got clammy in it. The temperature was in the mid 60s. There is no need to wear a windshirt in the mid 60s unless you have a slight drizzle or there is a VERY VERY strong wind blowing. ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
March 16, 12:49pm