BPL Community Profile

carl becker (carlbecker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me 54 years old 6' at 200lbs and getting back to doing some overnight hiking.
CityFairfax
StateVirginia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3 season

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by carl becker

Showing 141 - 150 of 319 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...32

Forum » Thread

Re: THE best photography carrying system?
0) Landscape in great light. 1) Nikon D700 with what ever lens I take, 17mm to 400mm, primes or zooms. Tripod is a Gitzo GT 921 chopped ext with ballhead at 20 ounces. Short but stiff and ligh...

In GEAR » THE best photography carrying system?
April 22, 8:20am

Re: Trimming my Aether 70--Get a new bag or cut it up?
I would try to find a lighter pack that was as comfortable, 5 pounds is a lot and so is four. I found Osprey to be pretty good, better than a REI Flash, but now I love my Aarn. After I decided the...

In GEAR » Trimming my Aether 70--Get a new bag or cut it up?
April 21, 5:16am

Re: Scalpers flipping Yosemite Reservations
IMHO everyone should get info from the scalpers and report them and or make a charge against them. Unfortunately I have to do this at home with people who trespass or will not clean up after their...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Scalpers flipping Yosemite Reservations
April 19, 7:28am

Re: Noob to Lightweight needs help!
I think you mean a Mountain Magic 55. I use and love a Marathon Magic 33 up to four days solo. I also have a Tarptent Sublite that worked very well in the heat of south Texas. If you need to kee...

In GEAR » Noob to Lightweight needs help!
April 18, 11:17am

Re: bivy (trailstar / duomid)
If bugs are a problem most of the time then maybe a enclosed single wall tent like a Sublite should be looked into. I use a Sublite 20 ounces complete if chance of rain is light and bugs are aroun...

In GEAR » bivy (trailstar / duomid)
April 18, 11:10am

Re: Shoulder Strap D-rings
I have carried a Nikon D700 w/L bracket with lens on a strap around my neck and over a shoulder. If the camera is off to the side it is not to bad a carry. Last year I purchased a Aarn Marathon M...

In Photography » Shoulder Strap D-rings
April 15, 7:09am

Re: Please critique my list
I have the MLD Solomid, so far it works well. If I need bug protection I use a TT Sublite. If your pack fits great I would not worry as much about the weight. I use a Aarn Marathon Magic 33 that...

In Gear Lists » Please critique my list
April 12, 6:47am

Re: Re: RE: "Insulation: less quality needed as move out from body (heat diff reduces)?"
Interesting thought but my setup would be a wool cap/pullover/pants then down inner jacket then down bag for the coldest times as that is what works layer wise for a total trip. I suspect down is ...

In GEAR » Insulation: less quality needed as move out from body (heat diff reduces)?
April 08, 10:36am

Re: TT Contrail
I talked to Henry before I purchased the Sublite. I think you should give him a call about your concerns. As I recall if I did not like the Sublite I could return it as long as it was still is se...

In GEAR » TT Contrail
April 02, 12:38pm

Re: Glove help
I carry Icebreaker gloves. I don't go much below freezing and they work well with poles. Thin enough and light.

In GEAR » Glove help
March 25, 5:04am

All Reader Reviews by carl becker

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Inov8 RocLite 315
I did lots of research to replace my 30 year old heavy leather boots. I tried many different boots at REI before I ordered these and have found my hiking shoe. I went one size up from my street shoes...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
January 16, 8:14pm

Osprey Exos 34 Exos 34
I recently looked at packs for some over night hiking. I tried the REI Flash 30, Montbell versalite 50, SMD Swift, GG Miniposa and Osprey exos 34. At 23 pounds the Osprey is by far the most comforta...

In Backpacks - External Frame
January 16, 8:03pm