Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Stuart Burke (burkest) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Collegiate Peaks Wilderness
About Me Stuart Burke has not added a biography yet.
CityMadison
StateWI
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List140 mile Colorado loop hike

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stuart Burke

Showing 141 - 150 of 182 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Forum » Thread

Re: 5 Liter Heineken keg
Nice find, please tell me you drank the beer before you cut it open!

In Make Your Own Gear » 5 Liter Heineken keg
September 16, 9:33pm

Re: tree line input
I use 50' of p-cord, but I always rig my bear bag from single branch not between trees. I would like to get some flat spectra cord to replace the p-cord to save a few ounces.

In GEAR » bear bag vs. bear canister
September 16, 7:27pm

Re: Thank you
Darwin, Hoisting your entire pack is certainly an effective way to get your food out of a bear's reach. One thing to keep in mind, some of the SHT campsites are in new growth forests and you...

September 16, 5:44am

Re: bear bag vs. bear canister
I am assuming that you are going to do the superior hiking trail. You should be fine with a bear bag and line. The bears up here are not very agressive when it comes to getting food. Most of the ca...

September 15, 3:48pm

Re: Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy...
Ryan, I have a wide superlight bivy that I use with a GG 1/8" thinlight, montbell UL 90 pad, and a REI 30 degree subkilo. I am glad that I went with the wide option. If the bivy was any na...

In GEAR » Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy...
September 13, 2:58pm

Re: zippers
I used the #3 continuous waterproof zipper from thru-hiker.com for a pair of epic rain pants. I have been happy with the zippers so far. #3 zippers are probably the smallest zipper you would want t...

In Make Your Own Gear » Adding Pit Zips to a Montane Hydra-Lite Smock?
September 04, 10:58pm

Re: a smaller tarptent
Ian, As a contrail user, I would say that it is definietly possible to build a smaller tarptent but I do not know if it would be a good idea. The contrail is roomy for one person but if it were ...

In GEAR » A smaller TarpTent ?
August 30, 7:27am

update
Tammy, As you have probably seen on the SHTA website we got some rain up here this week. I went for a day hike yesterday on the section near Jay Cooke state park and it felt like I was hiking i...

In Post-Trip Reports » Border Route Trail MN
August 29, 4:23pm

RE: BRT
Tammy, I would agree with Jim that The SHT is still doable if you are willing to carry 4 to 5 liters of water and hike about 15 miles per day. The weather up here is starting to turn cooler so t...

In Post-Trip Reports » Border Route Trail MN
August 22, 11:57pm

Re: Superior Hiking Trail
If you are willing to hike a 48 or 60 mile section of the trail it is hard to go wrong because there are highlights every 5 to 10 miles. My personal choice for a trip of that length would be from T...

In Post-Trip Reports » Superior Hiking Trail
July 13, 6:50am

All Reader Reviews by Stuart Burke

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Simblissity Levagaiter
I love these gaiters. I wear them every time I go hiking. They breathe well, dry fast, keep debris out of my shoes and stay in place. When I first used the gaiters it took a few tries to get the fit r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
February 26, 4:47pm

Montrail Stratos XCR
I like mine quite a bit. They fit well and are reasonably light. My only complaint after hiking 40 miles with them is that the padding around the ankle soaks up a lot of water and takes a long time (s...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
October 31, 8:39pm