BPL Community Profile

Laurence Beck (beckla) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I was born in Kansas City,MO. but raised in Riverside,CA before moving to Orange County, CA in 1989. I developed a love for backpacking in the Boy Scouts as a kid so, in 2004, I joined a local Hiking and Backpacking Club. My lightweight testimony has been an evolving story. I started out in 2004 with a base weight around 40 lbs, made a transitional reduction to 30 lbs and then to 25 lbs over the last couple of years. Now, with the help of BPL forums, I am down to about 14 1/2 lbs including a bear canister.
CitySan Juan Capistrano
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListMar 2011 - Stuck at 15-16 lbs

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Laurence Beck

Showing 141 - 150 of 246 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Forum » Thread

re: C'mon
I feel embarrassed just looking at it. How much does it weigh?

In Gear Swap » WANTED: [MbVPTA] Markill Adapter for piercable gas canisters ASAP
October 11, 10:22pm

Re: Questions about the ULA Ohm Pack
Greg, Thanks for the confirmation. I have a GG Vapor Trail and it will only take the cannister vertically as well. I notice you are from Colorado. Have you ever done Long's Peak. That is the...

In GEAR » Questions about the ULA Ohm Pack
October 11, 10:14pm

Responses...
Hi Jim, I am looking at the WM Summerlite myself. It seems the perfect bag for summer backpacking. I normally sleep in uw unless it's under 30 deg then I sleep in the MB down inners. I a...

In Gear Lists » Updated Gear List
October 11, 10:08pm

Questions about the ULA Ohm Pack
Is the ULA Ohm large enough to carry a full size bear cannister like the Garcia, the Bear Vault, or the Bearikade Weekender? Any other comments about this pack?

In GEAR » Questions about the ULA Ohm Pack
October 11, 8:52pm

In another universe maybe...
Whoops...I guess in another universe. Sorry for that. It IS 32ml and it weighs 2.89oz. Is BPL ever going to carry this product again?

In GEAR » Water Purification / Filter
October 10, 7:16pm

Klear Water
Klear Water is a water purification additive that is manufactured by Xinix. BPL used to carry this but now you can email Xinix and they will ship it directly to you. The active ingredient in Klear ...

In GEAR » Water Purification / Filter
October 09, 10:54pm

Looks cold...
Brad, Cool shots. Did you setup the SL1 right on the snow or are you using a footprint of some sort? I have never used mine in the snow.

October 09, 9:57pm

Starbucks
I tried one of the free samples and the instant Starbucks is fine although, as someone posted earlier, Taster's Choice has a premium blend in the little 0.1 oz tubes that tastes just as good an...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Starbucks instant coffee
October 09, 9:34pm

Low calorie count and BA SL1
I don't take offense to comments about my food intake. I am one of those kind of people who can eat the same thing every day for days. The longest I have been out with this kind of diet is 12 d...

October 09, 3:27pm

Your math is correct
Chris and Hartleyf, Your math is correct. The funny thing is that I never feel hungry on a trip. I even find that I have to choke down the cliff bar at lunch. I am 6ft tall and I weigh about 195...

October 09, 8:22am

All Reader Reviews by Laurence Beck

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
I purchased the Big Agnes SL1 three years ago and I have spent at least 30 nights in it. I am only 6 ft tall so the length is actually perfect for me. The real beauty of this tent is that it is light ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 28, 8:27pm

Klearwater Klearwater
I have been using KlearWater for about 3-4 years and I love it. I refrigerate it while not in use and I have never had to throw out a bottle. My favorite feature is the ability to treat a larger quant...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 27, 12:08pm

National Geographic TOPO! Outdoor Recreation Mapping Software - California
I used Nat. Geographic's TOPO California to plan a John Muir Trail hike last summer (06). It was great at showing profiles and I loaded waypoints to my Garmin GPSMAP 60C. The one slight ptoblem is...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
February 07, 5:18pm