BPL Community Profile

b d (bdavis) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.
About Me Happy to find this site. Camping, hiking, whatever - love kayaks and have a bunch of foldables if people are ever in the area and want to use one - including a Klepper double which is great for taking gear and two people anywhere, including by sail in low wind conditions. Spent so much time reviewing all the posts and articles here over Thanksgiving I thought I would fill in some blanks. Me and partner live a few miles from Lassen peak on Hwy. 44 if you want to look it up and are in the area. Welcome to use our home as a base.
CityOld Station
StateCA
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://www.shastalaw.net

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by b d

Showing 141 - 150 of 208 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Steggers & Military M51 snow jacket
Nichoas & JR ... If you are still out there ... here is a pic of me in the military surplus cold weather jacket with the fur lining (synthetic) that JR referred me to. My mukluks are in...

In GEAR » Stegger mukluks?
December 08, 3:30pm

Pictures & such
I meant RJ should reduce his .01 ... as the new system gets up and running I may start with a deficit ... :)

In Photo Gallery » Snakes and Such
December 08, 1:29pm

First tests done, RS 2 in snow
First test results on 19 F night outside temp. (next time I'm gonna take a thermometer inside with me): 1. Too much ventilation if there is any wind and the temp is low. Need to either se...

In Multiple Use Gear » Rainshadow 2 Tarptent as snow/4th season tent
December 08, 12:23pm

Recent email from Big Sky
I received the following email in response to a request for information on when a new Big Sky Evolution 2P would be available: "It will probably be spring before we could ship you’re an E...

In GEAR » Big Sky shelters --- who has ordered? who got their's?
December 08, 11:04am

OK
OK .. sure understand the worry.

In Chaff » Help! Can you check Paypal for me?
December 07, 7:20pm

PayPal
If this is legit that you are having a problem, and there are so many PayPal frauds .... I just logged in and it worked, for what that is worth. Sorry about your problem.

In Chaff » Help! Can you check Paypal for me?
December 07, 7:19pm

Hate to say it ... but
If people are really being taken advantage of or not communicated with, hiring a lawyer or asking one to write a letter for like $25 or less is worth it. Being one, you would not believe how that ...

In GEAR » Big Sky shelters --- who has ordered? who got their's?
December 07, 6:20pm

Ditto to pj's comment(s)
I am a "newbie" here and to UL gear and techniques. When I see a rank associated with a person's name I tend to believe they know what they are talking about and doing. Whatever t...

In Community Support Forum » BPLRank v0.1
December 07, 5:20pm

Advice for a novice in snow?
I am a novice at snow trekking, tents, sleeping in it, etc.? I have a lot of questions and would like advice on how best to approach it. First step for myself and my partner is sleeping in a ...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Advice for a novice in snow?
December 07, 3:54pm

gets rid of gear addiction
This is where I am headed, making my own gear or using commercially available gear to suit my particular needs. I already asked my partner to teach me how to use her sewing machine ... my idea is ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight <br>Part 1, Introduction
December 07, 3:13pm

All Reader Reviews by b d

Showing 1 - 10 of 112 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Review

Category

Outdoor Products Hall Pass Day/O'Nite Pack
I picked up this pack for $20 US at a Big 5 to experiment with (Campmor has it listed at $14.99). The thought was to see if it would do for a day, a night, and a day camping trip. Here it is packed,...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 29, 1:22pm

Gorillapod SLR
I rarely bother to review items I would not use or which deserve less than a 4, but this chain caught my eye. Owning a GorillaPod for SLRs I can't recommend it for a person trying to go UL. So I...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
January 27, 7:32pm

Spark-Lite Fire Starter (Survival Gear - BPL Gear Shop)

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
January 27, 6:30pm

Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil
I have been using the same piece of Reynolds aluminum foil for a windscreen and a food prep area for about 6 months, maybe 8 now. It held up well and is light weight. It is important to get the heav...

In Stoves - Other
January 26, 7:54pm

BMW Stealth 0 NANO (6x8) UL Tarp - 4.2 oz. Catenary Ridgeline
I don't think I could have found a better tarp to learn with and from. It is fragile compared to heavier fabric tarps, but it is precisely for that reason that it is a great learning tool This...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
January 26, 7:05pm

Mountain Hardwear Butter Balaclava
I entirely agree with Craig S.' review. I carry this item with me everywhere once the weather turns cool or cold. I wear it over or under my Mountain Hardwear Micro beanie, and both of them unde...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 26, 12:59pm

PossumDown Gloves (BPL Gear Shop)
These are a real find. I was waiting for the BPL Gear Shop to get them back in stock and am glad I waited. My partner got a pair of gloves from another New Zealand supplier and although they are gre...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 23, 8:35pm

Mountain Hardwear Phantom Down Jacket (Women's)
This is a piece of gear my partner obtained. But, it also works for me. She got a large to wear over other items, and it fits me fine as well. It is well made and is warm, but not too hot in cold...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 23, 8:16pm

OR DryComp Summit Sack
A few short months ago I never thought I could use a frameless pack. But, testing out systems and hiking more, because my pack weight was going down as my familiarity and technique with gear and the ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 21, 8:05pm

McNett AquaMira Water Treatment
It has taken some time, and a lot of winter boredom, to get to trying out chemical water treatment systems -- goal: reduce weight w/o gagging on the water after treatment. So after studying here I fi...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
January 21, 7:10pm