BPL Community Profile

Don Selesky (backslacker) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Don Selesky hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Don Selesky has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Don Selesky

Showing 141 - 150 of 276 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...28

Forum » Thread

Re: Short summary
My experience is clearly different than yours. At least in cooler/cold conditions, I find that soft shells (pick your definition here) give adequate warmth with a much higher level of breathabilit...

In GEAR » Newbie Questions on Hardshell and Softshell Jackets
September 22, 4:18am

Re: difference between Quilt and SB
"1. I have slept out several times with out shelter and the wind was gusting up to 50MPH. seems a quilt might blow off or have drafts?" It's a quilt, not a shelter. It's assum...

In GEAR » Difference between a sleeping bag and a quilt
September 20, 8:09pm

Re: which shell fabric?
A couple of comments: - If you're using a bivy, then the bag shouldn't be exposed to the elements. I'd go for something simple like Epic or Momentum. - Since you plan to use some...

In GEAR » new winter sleeping bag
September 10, 7:29pm

Re: new winter sleeping bag
My main question is how cold will you be going out in? The temperature in NH routinely goes below 0F in the winter, although it can also go well above freezing, if it feels like it. I've pers...

In GEAR » new winter sleeping bag
September 09, 2:50pm

Re: Good Winter Bivy For Large Sleeping Pad
I use an MLD Soul Bivy Side Zip in size Large with a winter bag, and find it handles the volume well. "Size Lg adds +6" length and 4" to girth." I'm 5' 9" and 200...

In GEAR » Good Winter Bivy For Large Sleeping Pad
September 05, 4:01am

Re: Pants for winter/snow
I'll second the recommendation for the MontBell Strider pants. I've found them very comfortable, and they block most of the wind and cold while still breathing well. Overall, a good compr...

In GEAR » Pants for winter/snow
August 29, 7:24pm

Re: Rail Riders Versatac Pants - mid or light?
I've got both, and I'd second the suggestion for wearing something like light softshell pants for hiking. Not dissing the Versatec pants, by the way, they're my normal pants of choice ...

In GEAR » Rail Riders Versatac Pants - mid or light?
August 27, 9:39am

Re: Re: Is non-waterproof footwear really better?
"I'll chime in that from winter through meltoff (whenever that is for a given year) I really like GT/WPB uppers. They do fend off snow and water and in cold and cool temperatures, do allow...

In GEAR » Is non-waterproof footwear really better?
July 20, 4:55am

Re: Re: Ridgerest Solar
"The normal RR is 1.5cm thick with a quoted R of 2.6. The RR Solar is 2cm thick with a quoted R of 3.5. If we assume the reflective coating does nothing, what would we expect the R value o...

In GEAR » Thermarest Ridge Rest SOLAR
July 19, 6:17am

Re: How should a Jam fit?
I've generally had better luck going with the larger size with Golite packs.

In GEAR » How should a Jam fit?
July 18, 2:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Don Selesky

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
I've had my 30F #3 bag down to 12F on a winter camping trip, wearing a mid-weight synthetic parka and pants, under a tarp and bivy combination. I was comfortable up to the 12F temps, although I w...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 04, 2:45am

Big Sky International
I ordered a tent about mid-December of last year also, and would be stunned at this point if it ever showed up. I suspect that you'll never get a refund simply because Big Sky doesn't have it - the f...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 05, 2:02pm