BPL Community Profile

Andrew F (andrew.f) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me Andrew F has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear ListEmigrant group trip list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andrew F

Showing 141 - 150 of 742 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...75

Forum » Thread

Re: Maps
I agree with Billy that the best way to plan side trips or an extension is just to pore over the maps and see what you think looks cool. Though since you're from out of town, you may not want t...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Extended JMT
January 30, 12:08pm

Re: Extended JMT
I'd recommend starting at Sonora Pass. Permits are a non-issue (they are free and there is no quota) and it's right on Highway 108 so hitching should be doable. Not sure if any bus goes the...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Extended JMT
January 30, 10:35am

New SMD packs
Backpacks aren't smartphones - they don't need to be reinvented every 24 months. I think it's great that Ron is questioning the relationship between cottage manufacturers and the market...

In GEAR » new SMD packs
January 29, 12:29pm

Re: Grayson Highlands
Looks like a great trip. You brought back some memories of hiking Mt. Rogers about ten years ago with my wife (then girlfriend) in college. It sure looks a lot different in the winter.

In Post-Trip Reports » Grayson Highlands in January
January 29, 8:25am

Re: Nite Ize
I've noticed that the reflective strand woven into the Nite Ize stuff is pretty fragile. It breaks and small pieces can pull out. I doubt it affects the strength in any meaningful way, but it i...

In GEAR » Nite Ize Reflective Line
January 27, 2:12pm

Re: Conditions
Tioga Road at Olmstead Point had about 10" of consolidated snow on Christmas. There were several large bare spots on the road visible from the point. I wouldn't be surprised if sunny aspec...

In Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » Winter biking Tuolumne Meadows
January 23, 3:02pm

Re: 3 season sleeping bag for Sierras
If you're going to buy just one bag, I'd recommend making it a 20 degree one. A 30F bag works most of the time, but you'll surely run into a few cold nights where you'll wish you ha...

In GEAR » 3 season sleeping bag for Sierras
January 22, 10:30pm

Re: PIF: Tom Harrison JMT Maps
Clayton, I'll put them to good use. Sending you an e-mail now.

In Gear Swap » PIF: Tom Harrison JMT Maps
January 20, 10:43am

Re: Emigrant
I didn't bring sunscreen or a knife :)

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Emigrant Wilderness SUL Trip - July 13-14
January 14, 9:13pm

Re: How to Connect Two Trekking Poles End to End (Video by Critter)
You can also just use a longer piece of cord and skip the velcro/tape. Use a clove hitch to attach to the 2nd trekking pole tip instead of a slip knot, and take the tag end and wrap it tightly arou...

In GEAR » How to Connect Two Trekking Poles End to End (Video by Critter)
January 14, 8:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Andrew F

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

zpacks Company
I had the same experience as everyone else here. Joe got me a customized piece of gear on time and was very responsive to my questions and requests. Can't do much better than that.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 30, 10:01am

ULA Ohm
The Ohm is my go-to pack for trips that don't require a bear can. You can fit a Bearikade in it, but it's not very comfortable because it bulges into your back. I put a plastic frame sheet fro...

In Backpacks - Frameless
November 15, 2:15pm

Katabatic Gear Alsek
See thread with pictures and comments here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=48962 I've used this quilt for about 20 nights no...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
November 15, 2:08pm