BPL Community Profile

Walter Carrington (Snowleopard) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Mass.
About Me Walter Carrington has not added a biography yet.
CityAshburnham
StateMA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Walter Carrington

Showing 141 - 150 of 564 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...57

Forum » Thread

minimal crampons.
Yaktrax: don't use them, they break; microspikes have completely replaced them in New England. Microspikes: work well when it's not steep. They don't work so great on hard ice. Th...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Minimal shoes and crampons? An idea...
February 28, 12:38pm

Too little insulation.
For a windy 30F evening you were drastically under dressed for sitting around. While you were exercising heavily you were producing a lot of heat and could get by lightly clothed. Once you sat do...

In Philosophy & Technique » i was cold...
February 27, 11:27am

Smart phone.
The 'My Tracks' program on my android phone will do most of this. If you're in the wilderness with no cell/data connection you'll have to wait till you get to civilization to uploa...

In GEAR » Personal Tracking Device
February 26, 7:55am

NE trail weather.
Seth, you'll freeze at night in the north unless our present hot weather continues. Check out the weather underground for the weather history. For the northern end look at the Jaffrey,NH, air...

In Gear Lists » March or April New England Trail UL Thru-Hike
February 20, 11:51am

coldest temperature
-30F in the Catskills (NY) a couple times in 1960s and 1970s. -20F frequently in the Catskills, 1960s and 1970s. My parents lived there 1964 to 1978. In those days -30F happened once a winter,...

In Winter Hiking » coldest temperature you've experienced?
February 06, 9:16am

PM sent
PM sent. I'm interested if they're still available.

In Gear Swap » FS: REI Taped Waterproof Mittens
January 27, 9:24am

Japanese keyhole saws?
David, you might enjoy browsing http://www.hidatool.com/shop/shop.html They have keyhole saws and bonsai trimming saws with skinny blades that look pretty light. My favorite pruning saw (not...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG pull saw
January 21, 9:02am

External gps antennas.
"When doing a winter climb one time, I put my GPS receiver inside my parka inner pocket to keep the display warm. Then I ran a coaxial cable up through the parka neck and into my hat. Between ...

In GEAR » Solar cells built into your phone...(the end of GPS units in 5 yrs?)
January 21, 8:37am

NE winter clothing system.
You absolutely need waterproof parka and pants. Without them, you could be in danger of hypothermia in a cold rain, or, worse, cold rain followed by very cold. Driducks are good but too fragil...

In GEAR » Winter clothing system
January 18, 9:44am

Optimus Explorer?
Optimus used to make a multifuel stove that burned kerosene, gasoline, coleman fuel, jet fuel and alcohol. You needed to change the jets for some fuels. I had one but never used alcohol in it. I...

In GEAR » a multi fuel alcohol stove?
January 16, 6:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Walter Carrington

Walter Carrington has posted no reviews.