Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Stuart R (Scunnered) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Scotland
About Me "When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of science, whatever the matter may be."
Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) 1883

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stuart R

Showing 141 - 150 of 653 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...66

Forum » Thread

GPS overestimates distance
The way to calculate distance is to take a GPS track, analyze it on your PC removing any bogus points like clouds where you stop or any side trips off the trail. GPS tracks over-estimate distanc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Difference between map and trail distance?
August 09, 1:47am

Re: Wow!
Diane - on a 4 day trip do you cook your breakfast on the first day and your eve. meal on the last day on your stove? If not, it is better to think of how many nights your trip lasts. 4 days = 3 b...

In GEAR » cannister stove questions
August 02, 2:01am

Re: responses
So you boil 36 oz in the morning and in the evening. 36 U.S. fluid ounces is 1065 ml. With a wide pot (you mentioned the 1.3L pot) and a windscreen and the stove flame at medium, you will burn arou...

In GEAR » cannister stove questions
August 01, 1:47am

Re: Alu
The aluminium is on the outside and in any case, it has a solid, impervious oxide layer (as has the titanium)

In GEAR » Reinventing the Ti pot
July 29, 3:15pm

Re: Reinventing the Ti pot
Out of curiosity I bought one of these. The Al coating on the base has a high friction surface, so the pot is very stable on a stove like the Gnat (FMS-116T). I don't believe the coating has an...

In GEAR » Reinventing the Ti pot
July 29, 2:41pm

Re: Re: Accuracy or otherwise of GPS
I carry the GPSr in the top lid pocked of my pack. You're right about the antenna, I have no idea where it is, somewhere inside. Since I do not regularly look at the GPSr, I do not know what ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Accuracy or otherwise of GPS
July 29, 2:30pm

Accuracy or otherwise of GPS
Here are a couple of examples of wildly inaccurate GPS tracks, recorded using a Garmin Dakota. The first is in the Ara Valley, northern Spain. This is a deep valley and my true track was along the ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Accuracy or otherwise of GPS
July 28, 10:04am

Re: Re: Re: dont reinvent the wheel
No, I wouldn't recommend refilling them with propane - did someone suggest that? Butane/propane mix may be ok tho' - these canisters are an inherently strong shape (long and slim) and form...

In GEAR » Smaller fuel canisters?
July 28, 4:00am

Re: dont reinvent the wheel
Already exists, standard screw thread valve, contains 52g butane, but only available in France

In GEAR » Smaller fuel canisters?
July 27, 11:30am

Excellent service from Vaude
I made a temporary repair using a bandage of aluminium bound with cord filament and impregnated with epoxy which held it all together. Then I contacted the UK agent for Vaude and they sent me a ...

In GEAR » Cracked alloy tent pole - what to do?
July 24, 3:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Stuart R

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coleman Exponent Non-stick Cook Kit
At first glance this looks like just another anodised aluminium cook set, but on closer inspection you will find that these pots have a real standout feature. There is a spiral groove machined or stam...

In Cookware - Other
March 29, 12:43pm