BPL Community Profile

ROBERT TANGEN (RobertM2S) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Lake Tahoe
About Me From planet Bllffftx.
CityReno
StateNV
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by ROBERT TANGEN

Showing 141 - 150 of 534 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...54

Forum » Thread

Spikes on wet rock?
Re: "i find microspikes or the hillsound trail crampons quite useful ... especially on compacted snow/ice ..." The ad says that microspikes also work on wet rock. Anyone test this out?

In Gear Lists » 2011 June JMT Gear List
May 17, 9:59pm

Eta Solo TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE
My rating would be "Eta Solo TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!" In your report you said: "While I was trying to get the pot off the stove I found that the cozy could easily slip downwards, cov...

In Editor's Roundtable » Primus Eta Solo Stove Review
May 17, 9:30pm

Summer all-body exercise
Some competitive swimmers need to consume 6,000 calories per day, so you know they are using almost every muscle on their bodies.

In Winter Hiking » Ski Touring: The Ultimate Workout!
May 17, 6:09pm

Rocket Tent
Rocket Tent Specs: Winter weight (without poles): 1 lb 5.9 oz (620 g) [87” long according to the floor plan, to the exact rear point, so it is not all useable. It is 48” wid...

In Philosophy & Technique » Above treeline; rough weather and UL USA designed shelters in the UK
May 13, 8:38pm

Always start on knees?
Re: "I teach a technique that works with or without crampons. You roll onto the axe with your knees bent and feet in the air, than actively pull-up on the axe shaft while leaning hard on the ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Learning how to use an ice axe
May 13, 8:33pm

Self arrest with crampons
As fond as I am of Bob Gross, and even though I am no expert, I would disagree with him, and would recommend practicing self arrest with and without crampons. You have to use your knees AND NOT YO...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Learning how to use an ice axe
May 12, 5:21pm

Tomahawking arrest
Sorry to be off topic, but there’s always the “Atlanta Braves’ self arrest” in which you tomahawk your way down the slope at the speed of sound. Bob, you said, "For Helen La...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Lighten up a Shasta Load
May 10, 5:26pm

Glissade or self-arrest?
Re: "...slowing down. Well that is what your ice axe pick and adze are for ..." Do you mean self-arrest, rather than glissade? If you are sliding down the slope on your belly, with the ...

May 09, 11:18pm

Crampons while glissading
Re: "Don't glissade while wearing crampons? Why not? Just don't use your feet." I WANT TO SEE VIDEOS OF THAT! Exactly how is that supposed to happen? Do you lay on your back wi...

May 07, 6:56pm

Rocks ever hit anyone?
Bob, in your 26 years, did you ever see anyone get hit with a rock, or see the after-effects? Did you ever wear a helmet?

May 06, 8:53pm

All Reader Reviews by ROBERT TANGEN

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Zpacks Arc Blast 60 liter
I received my Zpacks Arc Blast, the large 60 liter, 17.0 oz. size for winter loads, and love it. If you are worried about getting poked, don’t worry, the stays terminate at the bottom end BEHIND the ...

In Backpacks - External Frame
September 13, 6:24pm

Rab Boreas extremely thin soft shell
1. David Chenault: “I'm a huge fan. It's been a great layer for BC skiing thus far. I expect it to be fairly bug proof too.” 2. Noted mountain climber Nils Nielsen: “The last month I’ve be...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
March 06, 3:44pm

WalMart / "Starter" compression shorts
(Others have written that they like these, and I agree.) The WalMart / “Starter” compression shorts are: 1. Long enough to prevent abrasion, even if you have massively muscled, Greek God-like thighs...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
May 02, 1:12pm

MLD 2009 Revelation
Five Stars! I love the new 2009 Revelation from Mountain Laurel Designs! I haven’t wrung it out like Ryan Jordan did for the pack he recently reviewed, so I don’t have his detailed data base, but th...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 21, 6:12pm