BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 141 - 150 of 281 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...29

Forum » Thread

Try running shorts witih a built in brief
I use a pair of running shorts with a built in brief for my primary outer wear. I'm currently using GoLite shorts (4 oz). When I put on my shell pants, the shorts stay on and serve as underwe...

In GEAR » Best Undies?
November 06, 3:35pm

In mid-summer in the desert?
I don't wear much in the way of wool here in SE Arizona during summer. In the desert, from late-May through September, temperatures can be over 110°F. Mostly, I wear a light-colored cotton L...

In GEAR » High temp for wool?
November 02, 6:08am

Feral dogs?
I live in a part of the world where there are many coyotes, some of them with rabies. I can't recall ever hearing of a fatal attack on a human by coyotes; they are generally timid and elusive....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes while on hike
October 30, 7:10am

Barefoot.
"You're supposed to be barefoot." That is probably true. But, people who have lived with the benefits of civilization for all of their lives may need some assistance. I grew ...

In GEAR » What kind of trail runners or insert are best for a very high foot arch ??
October 28, 7:26am

Taping for plantar fasciitis
Here is a site that shows the way to tape for plantar fasciitis. I use this and find that it helps a lot. http://heelspurs.com/tape.html

In GEAR » What kind of trail runners or insert are best for a very high foot arch ??
October 27, 7:19am

Montrail Hardrock '09's"
"Keep your eyes peeled, there are still a few places that will occasionally have the '08s in select sizes. I have searched the web and unless I missed something, the remaining sizes for...

In GEAR » Montrail Hardrock '09's
October 23, 8:52pm

Montrail Hardrock '09's
About two weeks ago I bought a pair of the new Hardrock 09's to replace the 08"s that I have pretty much demolished. The 09"s don't seem anything like the earlier versions. They...

In GEAR » Montrail Hardrock '09's
October 23, 9:15am

GCNP Tarp Setup Question
The ground in GC can be hard on stakes. I normally use Easton stakes and/or Ti skewer stakes. Sadly, these don't hold up real well when used in the dense, rocky soil of the Grand Canyon desi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » GCNP Tarp Setup Question
October 16, 7:44am

mosquito net that will hang from ridge line?
Ray Jardine offers two net tents specifically designed to go under a tarp. You need to do some sewing to be able to use them but learning to sew is not particularly difficult. Check out: http://w...

In GEAR » mosquito net that will hang from ridge line?
October 10, 7:31am

Solo Tarp without a Bivy
If you don't mind sewing, I would recommend the RayWay solo tarp. I have used one a lot w/o a bivy and if properly pitched, will keep one dry. It has beaks on both ends that help a lot. I we...

In GEAR » Solo Tarp without a Bivy
October 03, 7:56am

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm