BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 141 - 150 of 311 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...32

Forum » Thread

Mt. Baker as first climb?
First, I would not recommend Mt. Baker for anyone not familiar with glacier climbing. But if you insist, for inexperienced climbers, I would certainly recommend the Coleman Glacier route over any ...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Mt. Baker as first climb?
June 24, 11:33am

why so little discussion of food
I suspect that the limited discussion of food versus, say, alcohol stoves, is the personal nature of ones diet. In my experience, a well balanced diet of backpacking food weighs about 100 to 110 c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » why so little discussion of food
May 16, 6:58am

Grand Canyon June: Temps.
Generally in the inner canyon you can expect temperatures around 70° F or warmer. During the day, you can expect temperatures around 100° F or warmer. June is typically one of the hottest month...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon June
May 03, 8:47pm

Options: 1 bear can for 2 x 4 days
I managed to get 10 1/2 days of food for one into a BV-500 for the Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal leg of my recent JMT hike. I did not use any freeze dried food and chose my meals for high cal...

In GEAR » ? Options: 1 bear can for 2 x 4 days
May 03, 1:08pm

Installing stays in G-4 pack?
I just finished making a G-4 pack. After trying it out with my gear, I think it might work better for me with stays and have decided to try installing a set. Has anyone done this? If so, can someon...

In Make Your Own Gear » Installing stays in G-4 pack?
April 29, 9:28am

Cut bottle, a good idea.
That is what I have used for the past three years. I cut the top from a 2 liter pop bottle about 1" above the 1 liter mark. It makes a good scoop, provides some extra camp water storage, has...

In GEAR » Favorite CHEAP bottle for Steripen use
April 26, 4:38pm

What do I want in hiking boots?
Unless you anticipate having to kick steps in snow for any extended period, I recommend you stay with shoes. But, kicking steps in snow, especially hard snow, can be painful, at best, in running s...

In Philosophy & Technique » What do I want in hiking boots?
April 23, 7:06am

capilene pants
I carry Capilene-2 pants to wear under a pair of light nylon cargo pants. I seldom use the Capilene bottoms unless the temperature is below about 25°F and I am laying around camp. Of course I ca...

In GEAR » capilene pants
April 16, 6:21pm

New Balance insoles
I tend to suffer from plantar fasciitis and have experimented with a variety of different insoles for relief from the heel pain. I recently purchased a pair of New Balance IPR-3030 insoles and, fo...

In GEAR » New Balance insoles
April 05, 8:36am

Deterioration?
I had always assumed that the crumbly Micropur tablets had been exposed to atmospheric moisture (compromised packaging) and had thus lost their effectiveness. I'm curious now. I think I&#...

In GEAR » MIcropur Tablets leaking out of packaging?
April 05, 6:59am

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm