BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 141 - 150 of 1749 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...175

Forum » Thread

Re: My version of the Nightwing - the Fightwing
Tyler, If you are going to include a beak on your tarp take a look at what I did with mine to make entry easier. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bivy Plans - Checking on materials
January 26, 4:19pm

Re: Trapezoid Tarp - design, beaks, and size
Tyler, It was the first small A frame pitched tarp. Hover over it with you mouse and you'll see the note referring to Jamie. IMHO beaks aren't worth it. What I prefer is to extend the...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bivy Plans - Checking on materials
January 26, 12:14pm

Re: 2X Fosters cans = windscreen
1.) You could try bending or rolling the last 3/8" of each piece over. One turning inside and one turning outside on both pieces. To join the pieces slide the outside turn of one piece into...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fosters can X2 windscreen
January 26, 5:06am

Re: PERSACTLY!
Pictures are not only welcomed they are required! ;-) Party On, Newton

In Make Your Own Gear » Does "modding" count as MYOG?
January 25, 4:10pm

Re: Thanks
Konrad, Try looking at this table. http://cool.conservation-us.org/coolaic/sg/bpg/annual/v11/bp11-33.html#table1 I tried to copy and paste the entire table but it became a word jumble! ;-)...

In GEAR » How do I get the B.O. Stink out of my pack?
January 25, 3:58pm

Re: Update
Konrad, "Caveat: the Simple Solution Pet Odor remover is scented (pretty sweet smelling). Ingredients are Purified water, denatured ethanol, non-pathogenic bacteria, natural enzymes, mild d...

In GEAR » How do I get the B.O. Stink out of my pack?
January 25, 4:23am

Re: A "dirty" white sleeping bag?
"If you slept in the muddy Northwest you'de have a dirty bag : )" I'd have a dirty tent bottom. ;-) I sleep inside of a tent, on an inflatable pad and use a red outer and bl...

In Editor's Roundtable » Sierra Designs Cloud 15 Review
January 24, 8:40am

A "dirty" white sleeping bag?
"That thing is going to look so dirty after a while." There have been a few references made made to how this bag will get or look dirty in a short period of time and usage. Question...

In Editor's Roundtable » Sierra Designs Cloud 15 Review
January 24, 4:36am

Re: Patagonia Piton Hybrid?
Rick, Patagucci does it again. "Other than the silly $$ cost, any opinions from hikers?" After viewing an informational video on the Piton I understand the "patched" lo...

In GEAR » Patagonia Piton Hybrid?
January 23, 4:34am

Re: Donut shaped center draft alcohol stove
Colin, Nicely done! Impressive pictures and workmanship. :-) When do we get to see the windscreen? Party On, Newton

In Make Your Own Gear » Donut shaped center draft alcohol stove
January 23, 3:26am

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm