BPL Community Profile

Michael Martin (MikeMartin) - BPL Staff

My Locale North Idaho
About Me Michael Martin has not added a biography yet.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Martin

Showing 141 - 150 of 510 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...51

Forum » Thread

Re: RBH Vapor Therm Shirt and Pants
Hi Chris- I've also used an RBH Vaportherm shirt extensively over the last year. I suspect that your wool base layer is too absorbent. I've had good luck with a lightweight synthetic t...

In GEAR » RBH Vapor Therm Shirt and Pants
December 16, 11:32am

Re: aha!
>> Mike, any suggestions on actual brands of syn. sack I realize this was probably directed at the other Mike (!), but I've had good luck with the Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 15. Bo...

In GEAR » Do I really need a bivy for snow camping?
December 15, 11:08pm

Re: Do I really need a bivy for snow camping?
I just saw your note about car camping. In that case, yes, bring something -- a mylar space bag, a bivy, a couple of hefty bags, whatever. It's not like your sleeping bag is going to sudden...

December 15, 9:53pm

Re: RE:Do I really need a bivy for snow camping?
If you were out for multiple nights, a bivy might be a good insurance policy. And, even for one night, bring one along and try it for the experience. :) But for one night, unless you're cl...

December 15, 9:36pm

Re: Do I really need a bivy for snow camping?
Hi All- A couple of miscellaneous notes: 1) For one night, you can get away with anything. In your position, I'd skip the bivy. 2) Snow shelter design is an art. If you can keep it ju...

December 15, 9:21pm

Re: which pad for 20 F
I use a cut-down, tapered Ridge Rest Deluxe pad for those temps -- 13 ounces, R 3.1. I just stuff my pack under my feet. An Arc Alpinist itself by itself won't get you down to 20 degrees, t...

In GEAR » which pad for 20 F
December 11, 11:29am

Re: Magic Golite Thread
>> Isn't most thread hydrophilic (i.e. water-loving)? Yah, I would assume so. In fact, much of the value of seam sealing is to make the thread hydrophobic to reduce wicking. Nevert...

In Make Your Own Gear » Magic Golite Thread
December 01, 12:17pm

Magic Golite Thread
Golite has long claimed to use a special hydrophilic thread that swells when wet and seals the seams on their shelters. I don't know if their thread has real technical merit, or is the product ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Magic Golite Thread
December 01, 10:32am

Re: cartoon kitchen, gear list
One thing you have to realize about Roger's winter fuel consumption is that his ancestors were desert reptiles...so his water needs are very low. ;-) Seriously, Roger's numbers for the ...

In Gear Lists » 8 Day Winter Gear List
November 12, 7:50am

Re: R-values: example plot
Cool Graph! Thanks, Andrew. One thing to bear in mind, though, is what happens if you're sleeping on snow. The R-Value of snow varies depending on its density, but is in the range of R-1...

In GEAR » winter closed cell pad advice
November 11, 9:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Martin

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
If you just bend the arms up slightly, it will support a Heineken Pot cleanly.

In Stoves - Other
May 26, 3:06pm