BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 141 - 150 of 554 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...56

Forum » Thread

1st Tarp for Couples
My advise is to get a 10x12 flat tarp in silnylon to start with if you know you'll have 2 people often, and you are a beginning tarp user. It's not that hard to pitch a flat tarp taugh...

In GEAR » Help me pick my first tarp
June 10, 8:26pm

Down bags
I think Down is significantly warmer (ie: true to it's temp rating, whereas synthetic is usually rated 10-15 degrees "optimistic"). However, down may be a problem on the east coast...

In GEAR » Down vs. synthetic sleeping bag
June 08, 8:54pm

Lightweight Synthetic 40-45 degree sleeping bag
Does anyone know of any lightweight synthetic 40-45 degree sleeping bags ? The REI Lumen is 37.5 oz on my scales. The Marmot Axiom has an advertised weight of 25 oz, but I'm concerned about t...

In GEAR » Lightweight Synthetic 45 degree sleeping bag
June 03, 7:29pm

Down bags
Here in Maryland, the spring weather is 90% humidity during the day with 4-6 hours of light rain most nights, and 20-25 degree temperature drops at night. As a result, I get condensation even unde...

In GEAR » The Pacific Northwest Gear Thread
June 03, 3:55pm

Need Grand Canyon Clothing Recommendations
I need some clothing recommendations for backpacking and hiking in the Grand Canyon in mid June for a week. In the hot & humid east coast, I typically wear a booney hat (3" brim, mesh s...

In GEAR » Need Grand Canyon Clothing Recommendations
May 31, 9:13am

Big Sky Order-fulfillment Times
Does anybody have any RECENT experience with how long it takes for Big Sky to ship a tent after an order is placed ? I've seen many forum posts from about 2 years ago saying that backorder tim...

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Sky International Evolution 2P Tent Review
May 24, 9:25pm

Re: Re: Single Skin Pyramid
I like floorless shelters and a seperate ground cloth myself. But it's because it's for the convenience. ie: It's often wet where I live, and I can take my rain gear and my muddy shoe...

In GEAR » Floorless Shelters and Creepie Crawlies
May 23, 8:06pm

Single Skin Pyramid
Order the Pyramid with 18" of mesh sown around the perimeter. Then, set it up with 9" of mesh lying on the ground - under your ground cloth. The overlap should discourage almost all the...

In GEAR » Floorless Shelters and Creepie Crawlies
May 23, 4:10pm

Re:Scouting and Alcohol Stoves
I understand the concerns about invisible flames and easily tipped over stoves that several people have voiced. My opinion is that liquid fuel stoves are too prone to becoming fire-balls that make...

In GEAR » Alchy Stove Recomendations for Scout Troops
May 04, 7:03pm

Scouting and Alcohol Stoves
Thanks for all the good replies. Just to clarify the legalities for any other scouters reading this later, the latest BSA policy allows commercial alcohol stoves and commercial fuels made specif...

In GEAR » Alchy Stove Recomendations for Scout Troops
May 03, 7:29pm

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm