Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Doug Smith (Jedi5150) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central CA
About Me LEO K9 handler, with SAR, EMS background.
StateCalifornia

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Doug Smith

Showing 141 - 150 of 350 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...35

Forum » Thread

Re: the problem with Paul ...
Peter, awesome post! :) I got a good laugh out of it thanks to your good sense of humor. This is an interesting topic. When I hear about incredibly long journeys with very light gear, I am im...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Longest ultraight BP w/o replenishing?
December 21, 11:06pm

Rae Lakes from the East side
Hello all, I'm looking for a bit of info on getting to Rae Lakes either mid or late season 2014. In "Sierra South: backcountry trips in California's Sierra Nevada", they list the...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Rae Lakes from the East side
December 21, 3:03pm

Re: Fire under a silnylon tarp (Video)
Thanks for the video. I'm a little wary of fire and nylon, but that video was a real eye opener to me. That was a pretty decent fire, putting off a lot of heat to be under a silnylon tarp. I...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fire under a silnylon tarp (Video)
December 16, 2:18pm

Re: "1000 Island Lake in winter"
Jeffrey, thanks for the comparison. My first and only attempt at snowshoeing was a complete disaster, probably due to the several feet of new snow that fell overnight. Unfortunately it really sou...

In Winter Hiking » 1000 Island Lake in winter
December 15, 2:12pm

Re: skiing and skiing
"But really, it's not that much fun. I mean, who wants to go out into a spectacular mountain range in perfect weather and have it all to themselves for a week or more, gliding along over a...

December 15, 1:45pm

Re: Some CA bc skiing links
Charley, thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I found Mike's site already and have read some pretty cool stuff on it. Regarding Bear Valley vs Tahoe, according to google maps, it ...

December 15, 12:26pm

Sierra Club
Hi Dave, I'd like to keep this thread focused on what I started it as, which is a way to prepare to do a ski trip to 1000 Island Lake in the winter/ spring. Folks offered advice on ways to hel...

December 14, 12:44pm

training
Thanks for the very informative reply, Billy. I appreciate the links to the vendors/ rentals and the classes. I am motivated to learn, as snowshoeing is not something I'm eager to try again. ...

December 13, 11:04pm

Tuolumne
Thanks for the added info on the Sierra Club. And I did finally find a website of theirs that gives great info on the ski huts. I think I am a bit confused about Tioga Pass from the Lee Vinin...

December 13, 2:34pm

ski hut
Thanks Bob, the ski hut idea is outstanding. Tahoe is much easier for me to get to in winter than Yosemite, so I'm glad that there are more huts available there. As we mentioned earlier, Pete...

December 13, 2:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Doug Smith

Doug Smith has posted no reviews.