BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 141 - 150 of 2471 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...248

Forum » Thread

Re: Clothing for desert hiking
For day hikes, I go for a cotton, long-sleeve, collared dress shirt - typically one I have retired from office wear. Or $4 at Goodwill. It keeps the sun off and you know how "Cotton doesn...

In GEAR » Clothing for desert hiking
May 12, 3:24pm

Spark energy
Stuart's very helpful graph (at least it is to me) suggests that as air-fuel ratios get richer at elevation, that could be the failing of piezo sparkers. If at first you don't succeed, try...

In GEAR » Do You Trust a Handheld Piezo Igniter?
May 11, 11:45pm

Re: When is a Mini Bic almost empty?
11 grams when full, if I recall. Of course, what you really want to know is how much when empty.

In GEAR » When is a Mini Bic almost empty?
May 10, 11:29pm

Re: Do You Trust a Handheld Piezo Igniter?
For me, the important part of the backup isn't WHAT but WHERE. Namely, somewhere else, not in my cooking set-up. Typically, I've got two mini-Bics. One with my cook kit. The other with ...

In GEAR » Do You Trust a Handheld Piezo Igniter?
May 10, 11:28pm

Car Camping
I too have spent many a night in Ford Focuses (Foci?), Neons, Corollas, Priuseseses, Accents, etc. I used to do it because it was cheap. Now I don't care about a $100/night room, but sometime...

In Gear Lists » super compact bag car camping list, TSA approved
May 10, 5:48pm

There's potential there.
There are a lot of good ideas in play there - the very inexpensive nature of such a filter, including the water-safety tips on different pages and the feel-good aspects of rich Westerners donating...

In On the Web » Simple paper water filter under development
May 09, 1:28pm

LOL
>"What will be next herbal supplements?" +1, Marko. But Tom wins the thread with, "These people have no sole......." So many class-action suits really frost me becau...

In GEAR » Vibram settles lawsuit over FiveFingers health claims
May 09, 10:52am

Re: Re: the opposite of ultralight
Ken: That looks like the Bear Valley Trailhead at Point Reyes. That's an impressive amount of stuff, but I've seen (and done) worse on that trail.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » the opposite of ultralight
May 08, 9:51pm

Flatlanders
>"I live in Houston, so it's impossible to find any sort of hike to replicate a mountain adventure. I typically build my base on a treadmill at 15-18% incline or a stairmill. " ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Training for Backpacking
May 08, 8:48pm

Cheap DIY Bikepacking
Jake, I just googled "kitty litter panniers" and, you're right - those no ends of pics and details and instructions. One detail I liked was putting reflective letters on the back:...

In Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » 130 miles in two days?
May 07, 10:14pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.