Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Backcountry traveler and writer in my spare time.

I have given up on PMs due to their tendency to encourage poorly considered inquiries. Please contact me through my website. I enjoy pack construction and trip planning questions in particular.
CityThe Fish
My Website URL
My PDF Gear ListWinter '14/15

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 141 - 150 of 3598 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...360

Forum » Thread

Great reading Mike. I was glad you guys showed up when you did, the start was too hectic and I had too many things to think about which kept me from checking in with folks as I wanted to. It was ...

In Post-Trip Reports » my humble BMO 15 trip report
May 29, 8:46am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Six Packraft Loops in the Bob Marshall Wilderness
Thanks Ivan, hope you and the family are doing well.

In Editor's Roundtable » Six Packraft Loops in the Bob Marshall Wilderness
May 29, 8:41am

Re: Re: Re: 'Mids in Wind, Storms
"In heavy winds, where they are pushing in on the walls and causing a loss of volume, do mid panel guylines work well to prevent it? Also, with heavy snow, do the mid point guylines help in th...

In GEAR » 'Mids in Wind, Storms
May 29, 8:39am

Re: 'Mids in Wind, Storms
The best mids, with properly cat cut and evenly cut and sewn seams, will when pitched tight be almost immobile in winds up into the twenties, and have substantial but controlled deflection at 50 mp...

In GEAR » 'Mids in Wind, Storms
May 28, 11:57am

Re: Contact from Chase and Alex
Thanks Greg. I believe Justin/Morgan and Chase/Alex are the last folks left out there.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2015 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open
May 28, 7:53am

Re: Canyonlands National Park - all 3 (or 4?) districts
Nice report Buzz and Peter. In my book, that is a much better bike route.

In Post-Trip Reports » Canyonlands National Park - all 3 (or 4?) districts
May 27, 3:46pm

Re: Finished right as it started hailing!
Nice job Nick. That trail down South Birch was impressively horrible. According to Spot data Morgan and Justin got down White River pass to the West Fork of the Sun this morning. Morgan will...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2015 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open
May 27, 3:45pm

Re: Squamish vs Alpine Houdini for Wind / Rain Jacket
The Alpine Houdini is a waterproof rain jacket, just a very light one. The Squamish is a non-waterproof windshirt with a good DWR. Two different critters.

In GEAR » Squamish vs Alpine Houdini for Wind / Rain Jacket
May 27, 3:41pm

Re: high cushion shoes...trail opinions?
I used the Olympus 1.5s for the Bob Open. They absolutely reduce foot and leg fatigue, no question about it. For trail hiking I thought they were impressively light and agile, as well. I did...

In GEAR » high cushion shoes...trail opinions?
May 27, 3:40pm

Re: BMWO 2015
Brillant, unintuitive route Dan, and a smashingly fast time. The math is there, but had you asked me beforehand I probably would not have thought that would go in 2 days. I finished at 1100 thi...

May 26, 6:50pm

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am