BPL Community Profile

Chris Townsend (Christownsend) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Cairngorms National Park
About Me outdoor writer and photographer, author of many books & articles on backpacking, hill walking and ski touring. Very keen on long distance walks and wilderness. Hikes: PCT (1982), CDT (1985), length of the Canadian Rockies, Yukon end to end, Arizona Trail, length of Norway and Sweden, round of the Munros and Tops, Land's End to John O'Groats and many shorter (under 800 miles) hikes.
CityGrantown-on-Spey
CountryScotland
My Website URLhttp://www.christownsendoutdoors.co.uk

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Chris Townsend

Showing 141 - 150 of 414 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...42

Forum » Thread

Alaska-Yukon Expedition: 4,700 miles and 7 months; start in 4 weeks - stove
I agree with Roger. The Whisperlite International should be fine. I've used the XGK and WI on ski trips in temperatures down to -25C and both have performed well. However the WI is quieter, has...

In Gear Lists » Alaska-Yukon Expedition: 4,700 miles and 7 months; start in 4 weeks
February 16, 2:44pm

Winter Shelters
Two snow walls with the outer one higher than the inner can protect a shelter from blown snow. Good distances are 15 feet away from the tent for the outer one and half that for the inner one. Snow ...

In Gear Lists » Alaska-Yukon Expedition: 4,700 miles and 7 months; start in 4 weeks
February 15, 4:49pm

Lightest DSLR
Red Fox, you must have missed Alan Dixon's review of the E620! http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/olympus_e620.html Image stabilisation isn't essential for handh...

In Photography » Panny GF1—A trekker's take
December 29, 5:04pm

Who's land is it anyway?
Rick, I live 15 miles from the Glenfarclas distillery!

In Chaff » Who's land is it anyway?
December 14, 2:16pm

Who's land is it anyway?
"In Sweden it is All mans rights which basically means you can camp anywhere, but also means that hunters, motor bike riders etc. can also use the same area." It doesn't give the r...

In Chaff » Who's land is it anyway?
December 14, 1:32pm

Professional Backpacking.....
Kendall, that's exactly it. That's what I've done. The only other way would be to find sponsors who will pay you to go backpacking - which means every trip has to have something newswor...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Professional Backpacking.....
December 14, 1:05pm

Professional Backpacking ....
As I've been mentioned I thought I'd point that professionally I'm a writer and photographer. I don't get paid to go backpacking, I do get paid for my words and photographs about ba...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Professional Backpacking.....
December 14, 12:36pm

Headlamp Help
The Tikka XP2 can be used with lithium batteries and is an excellent headlamp,the best in the Tikka series yet.

In GEAR » Headlamp help?
December 03, 2:50pm

Winter Backpack Recommendations
Having used all these packs in winter I'd choose the Quest or Odyssey if carrying everything in the pack. I've found the Pinnacle fine with loads up to 30lbs but no more. It's good in c...

In GEAR » Winter Backpack Recommendations
November 23, 4:10pm

Fletcher's 100 mile summer redux
Colin Fletcher's The Thousand-Mile Summer was the inspiration for my PCT thru'-hike in 1982. I met a walker trying to follow Fletcher's walk back then. Anything that keeps Fletcher'...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fletcher's 100 mile summer redux
November 22, 9:27am

All Reader Reviews by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend has posted no reviews.