November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Andy F (AndyF) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Ohio
About Me Andy F has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear ListWet-cold winter

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andy F

Showing 141 - 150 of 1493 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...150

Forum » Thread

Re: There is little danger - but there is danger
"I would like to read useful advice to mitigate an existing high-severity/low-probability risk." Awareness. Try to smell or hear or see sign of them before you see them. And then, s...

In Chaff » There is little danger - but there is danger
December 11, 9:49am

Re: So I inflated my mouth
You now have goose cooties.

In GEAR » So I inflated my mouth
December 10, 3:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Go for the Steripen Freedom
"Let's face it, if we wanted a "pure nature experience" we'd be on a bushcraft forum, not a backpacking forum. Gear is part and parcel of the BPL ethos, for better or worse.&...

In GEAR » Which SteriPen Model?
December 10, 9:58am

Steripen/bottle opening size
Many use the Steripen in their cooking pot or the bottom of a cut-down Platypus or Nalgene Cantene, then pour the water into their narrow-mouth container or hydration bladder.

December 09, 6:32pm

Re: Rocky Gore-Tex socks on multi-day trips
I can wear a medium-thickness wool sock and liner sock with a Gore-Tex sock sized up 1.5 sizes. It seems like there is a little bunching, but I don't notice it once I start hiking. Over the ...

In Gear Deals » Rocky Goretex Socks - 40% off
December 09, 6:25pm

Re: Which SteriPen Model?
I have the Opti which I use sometimes. It works great. I take the batteries out between trips, and I haven't had any battery issues using name brand lithium batteries. The one I have is a fr...

December 08, 6:50pm

smelly down
I always assume that anything with down is going to have a slight dead bird smell to it. It goes away with washing and use, but it returns some when it gets damp. I carefully bear bag and hang m...

In GEAR » awesome quilt, smelly down.
December 08, 9:40am

Re: Re: Water treatment options
Right, iodine (which Polar Pure is) doesn't kill crypto. But, neither does Aqua Mira the way most backpackers use it. :) Here's a good summary of treatment methods: http://www.hikel...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Almost SUL -- Help me make the cut.
December 08, 9:31am

Re: When backpacking, it pays to be small
Also, bigger people have to carry bigger, heavier gear and more food.

In Philosophy & Technique » When backpacking, it pays to be small
December 07, 10:09pm

Water treatment options
Even faster and probably a little lighter are the chlorine dioxide tablets. They save the hassle and wait of mixing. The treatment time on Aqua Mira (and any chlorine dioxide method) depends on ...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Almost SUL -- Help me make the cut.
December 07, 9:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Andy F

Andy F has posted no reviews.