BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1391 - 1400 of 1541 | Page: 1 ...131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ...155

Forum » Thread

Re: why no synthetic down copies
The key design elements of synthetic down are to match the excellent insulation characteristics of goose down but not allow the insulation to degrade when wet. Primaloft One most closely matches...

In Make Your Own Gear » down compressibility
November 16, 3:14pm

Re: why no synthetic down copies
Three insulation products are polyester synthetic down copies. They are Primaloft One, Primaloft Sport, and Exceloft.

In Make Your Own Gear » down compressibility
November 13, 4:21pm

Re: Crescent Moon Neoprene OverBootie
My pair weighs 10 oz. I wear them with a pair of size 10.5 Gore-Tex trail runners and gaiters. My feet have never been cold or wet snowshoeing with them in the Sierras.

In GEAR » Crescent Moon Neoprene OverBootie
November 12, 6:50pm

Re: Re: optimizing backpacking menu
John-I agree with you. I only go through this type of food planning exercise for my multi-week expeditions. In my case that is at least once per year for trips averaging 6 weeks in duration; mos...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » optimizing backpacking menu
November 10, 5:49am

Re: optimizing backpacking menu
I want am not formally trained in physiology. Most of my knowledge comes from having prepared for numerous expeditions. Secondarily, I am also doing some related research for my business start-up. ...

November 09, 8:50pm

Re: Your questions
The Balance Bar adhesive is water soluble. Even storing them in high humidity will allow the adhesive to loosen.

In Philosophy & Technique » Your questions needed for new BPL column
November 08, 8:18pm

I will address your last question first. Don’t “…pack another 2.5-3# of lard around my (your) middle”. You will get 3,500C from every fat pound around your middle and 4,000C from every fat ...

November 08, 7:21pm

Re: warmth comparison of insulating jackets
Den-This site has excellent reviews of all lightweight jackets. They specify the loft as opposed to a temperature rating. No other site, that I am aware of, provides this valuable information. The ...

In GEAR » warmth comparison of insulating jackets
November 08, 12:47am

Tom-I recalcuated the numbers and discovered I screwed up on my original post yesterday. I went back today and corrected the original post numbers. I shouldn't have checked my numbers before I post...

November 06, 11:41pm

Sam-Yes

November 06, 11:11am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm