Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1391 - 1400 of 1879 | Page: 1 ...131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ...188

Forum » Thread

Re: Silnylon as footprint?
I wouldn't bother with it but if you MUST have a footprint under your tent, use non-waterproof fabric that does not absorb much water (light wt polyester is better for that but nylon will work)...

In GEAR » Tent footprint - help me choose one
June 20, 10:18am

Re: vapor trail collar shortening
Dave, I agree, long extension collars are a bother. I use a Virga but I haven't bothered to shorten it ... yet. I suspect that GG thinks it'll be easier to sell to folks transitioning ...

In GEAR » ATTN Karl Keating? Vapor Trail extension collar.
June 20, 7:51am

Re: Rigging a tarp - question
Alvie, Don't worry about the POSSIBILITY of tearing out a grommet. If you use the tarp in the wind it is a CERTAINTY unless the grommet was installed by a good sail maker. Webbing loops ...

In GEAR » Rigging a tarp - question
June 18, 5:48am

Re: 2.5 Gallon Water Containers
We went over Phillips but did not camp there. I'd have felt comfortable camping on Phillips with 4.5 liters each if eating the wet meal at the previous water source. But everywhere we went we...

In Philmont » Philmont Checklist
June 16, 1:23pm

Re: The actual capacity of a Mariposa pack.
Wax, This link at McHale Packs has an explanation why HeightxWidthxDepth is not a particularily accurate estimate of pack volume. The "Do this fun experiment:" section at the end is a...

In Editor's Roundtable » Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Backpack REVIEW
June 16, 12:55pm

Re: 2.5 Gallon Water Containers
Albert: I'm not sure which route you're considering from Phillips Camp to Cito via Big Red but I don't think there'd be much distance penalty if you routed through Red Hills camp ....

In Philmont » Philmont Checklist
June 15, 10:11am

Re: Make me a miniature sleeping bag $$- Secret society
there is a club for men that recognize the genetic advantages of marrying a woman that is a lot smarter. LOL ... spent the past three days canoing with several long time friends and among our co...

In GEAR » Make me a miniature sleeping bag $$
June 15, 9:40am

Re: planning an August trip
Tammy, I can't think of a 6-7 day stretch of the SHT that would not be very enjoyable. If this were a once in a lifetime SHT trip I might suggest a stretch that included the best of the bes...

In Post-Trip Reports » superior hiking trail
June 15, 6:48am

Re: Polycro
Do you know of an on-line supplier for the double coated sil-nylon? If you don't find a commercial source, this MYOG article might get you what you want.

In GEAR » ground sheet
June 08, 4:19am

Re: I seems obvious to me.
At the risk of sounding preachy, I have just 3 words of advice .... "Park Your Car" It's the only way I can maintain being merely "too overweight" vs much more so. It&...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I seems obvious to me.
June 03, 3:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am