Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1391 - 1400 of 1983 | Page: 1 ...131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ...199

Forum » Thread

yet another pack comment: AT Thru-Hike, 2009
Ed, Do you have the Nimbus Meridian yet? Reason I ask is that I have trouble filling a GG Virga (3200 CI)with a load filling about the same needs as yours and with my 2X size, most of my items ...

In Gear Lists » AT Thru-Hike, 2009
January 02, 6:08pm

Re: tarp-tent camping
Adding to Peter's good advice ... I've used floorless Squall and Cloudburst models from tarptent.com and a floorless TT1 made from instructions at the same site. I'm 3" shorter...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » tarp-tent camping
January 02, 2:11pm

Re: Lightweight Headware Systems.
does anyone offer free instructions or a pattern for a hat like the rayway hat? i can see its just a simple 3pc shell but Im thinking of a DIY like it using down as insulation. Jan Rezac descri...

In GEAR » Lightweight headwear systems
January 02, 10:51am

Re: Bivy in the Snow
Denis: Nah, we call it "camping season"! Ben: We had the benefit of that being just an overnight outing so we had SOME confidence in the weather forecast. There were five of us out ...

In GEAR » Tarptent Scarp1 (4 season -freestanding)
December 28, 8:03am

Re: Ultralight backpacking gear lists.
Noah, Ditto the comments cheering a scout starting out on the light path! I see that you've also found the Philmont forum here at BPL and that Peter has pointed you to Doug Prosser's ...

In Gear Lists » Ultralight backpacking gear lists.
December 28, 7:31am

Re: UL Tarp poles
Mike's correct, the easton poles sold by GG and most UL shelter vendors do bow easily. I was comfortable with that for solo sized shelters before I started using trekking poles but it DID take...

In GEAR » UL Tarp poles
December 25, 8:29am

Re: 2.5 Climashield XP/Momentum quilt
quilt dimensions?

In Gear Swap » 2.5 Climashield XP/Momentum quilt, ipod Nano, Capilene 1, Sunglasses
December 24, 6:21am

testing 456
so I guess there's no way to quote another post besides copying the text and putting it in quotes "" Does the above accomplish what you want?

In User Test Forum » testing 123
December 23, 11:00am

Re: Sublite features - request for feedback
I don't own Sublite but after my experiences with Squall, Cloudburst, RainShadow and MYOG TT1, it be hard to revert to a shelter that had less view in fair weather bug season not to mention les...

In GEAR » Sublite features - request for feedback
December 22, 3:25pm

Re: Contact Lenses Freezing
I don't wear contacts so know nothing of the topic but just returned from a winter camping weekend (-13F this morning) with one who does. He waits until the last clean opportunity to put them ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Contact Lenses Freezing
December 21, 8:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am