BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1391 - 1400 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Gregory Z55 vs. Osprey Aether 60
Bottom line, the most important thing is to buy the pack that's most comfortable for you. Go to a store, try them each out with weight--preferably at least 10 or 15 minutes each. If you're ...

In GEAR » Gregory Z55 vs. Osprey Aether 60
December 04, 2:28pm

RE: "Waist up layering system for winter"
Hey- Ya know, we all have different metabolisms, but personally I think you'd be more comfortable in a lighter weight baselayer. I typically ski in those conditions with 150-190weight wool and...

In GEAR » Waist up layering system for winter
December 04, 2:06pm

Re: Vapor Barrier question
First, what Mark said. Will definitely work, but durability and comfort (particularly w/Hefty sleeping bag liner). If you haven't used VBL before, it'd be a cheap way to try it out. I own a...

In GEAR » Vapor Barrier question
December 04, 1:46pm

Re: Diagnose my Socks...
I've blown through tons of socks in the same way; in my case it's the orthotics I use. Do you use some sort of rigid footbed? I also wonder how old your socks are when they blow out... if i...

In GEAR » Diagnose my Socks...
November 28, 12:58pm

Re: Cuben Fiber Fragile- Huh?
Hi- I posted some pics of .44oz cuben that tore when lightly pulling the fabric in opposite directions with my hands. Not sure how to link to the exact post, but about 2/3 of way down the page: ...

In GEAR » Cuben Fiber Fragile- Huh?
November 19, 5:53pm

Re: How water resistant is Windstopper
Hey- I think the most apt comparative description of Windstopper is that it's a stretched-out, thinner version of GTX. You might or might not be aware that the Dryloft used for years in sle...

In GEAR » How water resistant is Windstopper
November 13, 12:02pm

chafing
Much already mentioned. I've tried a lot. Little has worked. What's worked best: 1) Merino boxer briefs, tight-ish fitting 2) Gold Bond or baby powder 3) Regular washing 4) Extra pair o...

In GEAR » Chafing and the merits of going commando
October 30, 1:38pm

weird
Deleted- sorry. When I clicked "post message" I was taken to the shopping cart/checkout screen. Didn't think I had actually posted.

In GEAR » Need sleeping bag help
October 30, 10:55am

SummerLite
With all due respect, definitely don't get a women's bag. They're not just shorter men's bags. They're actually shaped differently! I didn't believe that for a while, then I...

In GEAR » Need sleeping bag help
October 30, 10:54am

Re: Re: Alison, what about this.
Had a major "whoa!" moment a month or two ago. Was looking at the Snowpeak Delta pod as an interesting stove (I have a major stove fascination), retails $80. Found same stove, some other ...

In GEAR » Stove choices
October 28, 1:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.