BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1381 - 1390 of 1836 | Page: 1 ...130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ...184

Forum » Thread

Re: Recommend a large tarp for sitting around during extended periods of rain while basecamping
Cooke Custom Sewing's Northwoods Dry Fly Edged with nylon tape, many guy out loops, no grommets to fail, field proven hundreds of miles north of the tree line.

In GEAR » Recommend a large tarp for sitting around during extended periods of rain while basecamping
May 08, 12:10pm

Re: A few projects I've been working on.
i need some advice on your tarp pitch. i also have a 5x9 and when i try and pitch it 1/2 pyramid there is never enough length for me to lay out and not touch the tarp, even on the diagonal. Can you...

In Make Your Own Gear » A few projects I've been working on.
May 06, 1:58pm

Re: A few projects I've been working on.
also, that .75oz yd is not square yards, it's sail maker's yards, which AYCE told me are smaller and it is also pre-coating. So the real weight will be something like .5oz more yep, (42 ...

In Make Your Own Gear » A few projects I've been working on.
May 06, 1:50pm

Re: Fire and Ultralight, a US Forest Service Recon
Gustav, Duct tape does not adhere to silicon impregnated fabric like silnylon and spinnaker. BPL sells McNett SilFix Fabric Repair Kit ... I have not used it but IME McNett products seem to...

In Editor's Roundtable » Fire and Ultralight, a US Forest Service Recon
April 27, 4:54pm

Re: Event Bivy, BA Emerald Mountain, Tarptents, Granite Gear packs etc. For Sale
PM sent on the White Lightning tarp

In Gear Swap » Event Bivy, BA Emerald Mountain, Tarptents, Granite Gear packs etc. For Sale
April 27, 4:13pm

Re: kinsman
being unfamiliar with the 1.8 i stuck with the scrim for ease of handling I've worked with both PL Sport and PL1 and IMO it's good you kept the scrim. You can discard PL Sport's scr...

In Make Your Own Gear » kinsman weights
April 25, 6:37am

Re: Yellowstone in Winter: An Igloo Traverse in America's Oldest National Park
Just before noon on April 22, RJ posts: It will take a little time to bring Chris up to speed with our editorial process This article appears about 11 hours later. Apparently Chris is a quic...

In Editor's Roundtable » Yellowstone in Winter: An Igloo Traverse in America's Oldest National Park
April 23, 9:03pm

Re:Thermometer
The thermometer Cameron mentioned looks OK, inexpensive too. If only I lived where temps didn't go below its range (-4F). My friends at the MN State Climatology office are big fans of the I...

In GEAR » Thermometer
April 23, 5:31pm

Re: Tarptents on Sale
Used floored models show up for sale here from time to time.

In Gear Deals » Tarptents on Sale
April 22, 9:05am

Re: Backpack - when is light too light?
Sven, I tend to look at it from a slightly different angle, starting with "what's the objective?" I'm sure the Adventure Racing or JMT thru hike record crowd will find that ...

In GEAR » Backpack - when is light too light?
April 21, 12:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am