BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1381 - 1390 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ...156

Forum » Thread

Leaf TP
FWIW, I usually just use fallen leaves. Green are nice but rare. Decomposing leaves work just fine. No plucking off live growth. That said, live plucked ferns can be quite nice...

In Philosophy & Technique » BP 101 - Washing Your Bottom W/O TP
December 09, 1:23pm

Used as tarp poles
Maybe I'm a freak, but I like a taut pitch on tents and tarps. Better storm stability, rain run-off, and so forth. But I've found that some poles have too much deflection or bowing effect w...

In GEAR » New Gossamer Gear Poles
December 09, 1:07pm

Re: Humid East
FWIW, my trips are in the quite humid Great Lakes region. I have found the VBL to be invaluable here, and a significant contribution to my kit. Of course, if you're on a winter trip then humidi...

In GEAR » Vapor Barrier question
December 09, 12:29pm

Re: WM Flight Jacket-- how cold?
Hi, all- The bottom line answer here is that it won't be quite as warm, but it is 7.5 ounces lighter than a Phantom. For sustained periods of inactivity at 20F, most people would need more l...

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering flight jacket -- how cold is it good for?
December 09, 12:10pm

Re: Alcohol stove info needed
Darwin- When you say "multiple week," are you talking without resupply, or more of a thru-hike kind of thing? It might affect your stove choice...

In GEAR » Alcohol stove info needed
December 07, 10:20pm

overnight water
I'll take the above suggestion and check out the other thread, but one comment about water for the next day--I always just leave a bit of water in my pot at night. In the morning I put it on th...

In GEAR » Winter hydration techniques
December 07, 10:13pm

Vapor Barrier layers
Hey- I wear a thin layer of merino wool--prefer Patagonia wool 2, but the 150-190 weight Icebreaker is good, too. I've noticed no difference in speed of drying between thin wool vs. synthetic ...

In GEAR » Vapor Barrier question
December 06, 11:00am

Re: Down booties - do you bring 'em?
Oh yeahhhhh. Down booties'll put a smile on just about anyone's face on a winter trip. My ex used to steal mine all the time, even at home, so I finally had to get her a pair. Part physiolo...

In GEAR » Down booties - do you bring 'em?
December 06, 10:25am

Paramo
Chris, Thanks for another great article and read! I'm really glad you reviewed these here; although the weights initially seem heavy, the garments are well worth it. I have an old Patagonia...

In Editor's Roundtable » Paramo Waterproof Directional Clothing
December 04, 4:03pm

Re: Down Booties
Jesse- You say that you can't seem to find down booties that fit your needs. That'd be a good place to start with what materials you want. What is it specifically about available down boot...

In Make Your Own Gear » Down Booties
December 04, 2:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.