BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1371 - 1380 of 1569 | Page: 1 ...129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ...157

Forum » Thread

Re: Insulated Chaps - Arms or Legs
Bill-You said, "The Ion seemed to be better and after a couple of miles I would have to un-zip the Ion but my body never really moved much heat to my arms." The above leads me suspect ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Insulated Chaps - Arms or Legs
January 04, 2:14pm

Re: How to identify Pertex Quantum?-Litespeed Quantum Version
Ron Bell, of Mountain Laurel Designs, made an excellent post to the forum on 11/4/06 entitled, “fabric madness, i need more nexium”. In part he mentioned there were at least 9 current versions ...

In GEAR » How to identify Pertex Quantum?
January 04, 1:36pm

Re: Insulated Chaps - Arms or Legs
Bill-Are you taking a wind shirt with you? If so, have you tried it with your Patagonia #2 Wool Crew to keep your arms warm while hiking? Even if you did take a wind shirt, I can still see the bene...

In Make Your Own Gear » Insulated Chaps - Arms or Legs
January 04, 10:51am

Re: Pertex Quantum
Bill-I took a detailed look at my Montane Lite-speed in an attempt to help James B. answer his question relative to what Pertex Quantum looked like. When I answered his question, I wasn't aware...

In GEAR » How to identify Pertex Quantum?
January 03, 1:05pm

Re: Re: Re: Temperature ratings on sleeping bags. US vs EU
This bag, unlike most sold in the US, is correctly rated for a male's lower comfort at 30F or -.6C. You can trust the EN 13537 test procedure rating if you use an equivalent R value pad to ...

In GEAR » Temperature ratings on sleeping bags. US vs EU
January 03, 12:25pm

Re: Which one first?
Don't apply both to the same garment. Use DWR on your outer layer and Permethrin on your base layer (Capilene or wool). Two years ago I had Montane / Pertex test a Litespeed wind shirt for ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Which one first?
December 31, 10:54am

Re: Questions regarding all layers of clothing
Derek-There is no one best solution for each layer. Select what fits you well, what matches your budget, and is aesthetically pleasing to you. Simple concepts to guide you in their selections are a...

In GEAR » Questions regarding all layers of clothing
December 30, 10:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: when you can't rely on DWR
John, The Mysterioso is used in combination with a wet suit and paddling jacket for 50 degree water.

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
December 29, 10:54pm

Re: Re: when you can't rely on DWR
Erin-Please let us know what fabric type will be used in your dry suit and if it is specifically designed for backpacking as a dual use feature. Also list the weight (My lightest Kokatat is 3lb wit...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
December 29, 2:59pm

Re: How About Blue Foam Pads?
Blue foam is not as durable as GG's Evazote® nor as warm for a given thickness. Although all blue foam looks much the same, its quality varies widely. Squeeze the foam between your thumb and f...

In GEAR » GG ThinLight R-value
December 29, 12:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm