BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1371 - 1380 of 1577 | Page: 1 ...129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ...158

Forum » Thread

Re: Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
Mike, I just re analyzed your numbers and came up with a R2 .9919 linear regression fit. The non linear regression fit yielded an R2 of .9935. I thought the small difference was in the noise lev...

In GEAR » Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
January 11, 6:46pm

Mitchell-Yes there are a number of real world variables that can raise havoc with a rating. Those that come to mind in priority sequence are as follows: -The standard assumes you are using a pad...

January 11, 5:37pm

Mitchell-A method for adjusting the “average” temperature rating was covered in prior forum posts. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3249/index.html?ski...

January 11, 12:56pm

The variation in a bag's perceived warmth, assuming the same environmental variables, is primarily determined by the individual’s basal metabolic rate. It can be simply calculated (inputs are...

January 11, 10:38am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
Paul-You are correct. I meant sleeping bag heat transfer. I just updated my post to preceed "heat" with "sleeping bag". In this context, heat is actually generated if any moistu...

January 11, 9:55am

Re: Re: Re: Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
Relative to point 2: Sleeping bag heat is lost through three transfer mechanisms. -Natural convection heat loss is negligible for all insulation types. -Conduction heat loss is inversely propo...

January 11, 12:31am

Re: What exactly is clo?
It is a measure of thermal resistance for some specified thickness of insulation. clo, R value, TOG, and m2 K/W alll measure the same thing and you can convert from one representation to another. c...

In Make Your Own Gear » What exactly is clo?
January 09, 4:54pm

Re: Re: Re: when you can't rely on DWR
Nicholas-Many manufacturers use their own brand names on fabrics they purchase OEM from Brookwood. I suggest you use the same approach that Bill F. has used in the past to get additional informatio...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
January 06, 9:15am

Re: Insulated Chaps - Arms or Legs
Bill-You said, "The Ion seemed to be better and after a couple of miles I would have to un-zip the Ion but my body never really moved much heat to my arms." The above leads me suspect ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Insulated Chaps - Arms or Legs
January 04, 2:14pm

Re: How to identify Pertex Quantum?-Litespeed Quantum Version
Ron Bell, of Mountain Laurel Designs, made an excellent post to the forum on 11/4/06 entitled, “fabric madness, i need more nexium”. In part he mentioned there were at least 9 current versions ...

In GEAR » How to identify Pertex Quantum?
January 04, 1:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm