Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1371 - 1380 of 1984 | Page: 1 ...129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ...199

Forum » Thread

Re: MYOG VB Liner Test Last Night
James, Thanks for the nice test report. Yes I know most stay inside in this weather, but I prefer to see my behavior as motivated by a passion for scientific knowledge (thanks to Roger C.) ra...

In GEAR » Vapor Barrier question
January 27, 2:51pm

Re: Use of tarps
I have been using a tarptent but want to try just a tarp. In thinking about this, I kind of wonder what the tarp is actually for. Why do you use a tarp at all? What's the purpose? If it isn&...

In Philosophy & Technique » Use of tarps
January 24, 12:03pm

Re: How many wide-mouth nalgene canteens and what size?
How many wide mouth Nalgene canteens would you carry for a 3 day winter trip Sounds like an arithmetic problem to me. (Daily water needs divided by how many times per day you expect to be able ...

In Winter Hiking » How many wide-mouth nalgene canteens and what size?
January 23, 4:53pm

Re: XUL - A new standard for Lightweight Backpacking?
Haven't read much of this thread because while I might be influenced by arbitrary external standards, I'm not inclined to abide by them. But maybe I can inject a bit of humor?

In Philosophy & Technique » XUL - A new standard for Lightweight Backpacking?
January 16, 5:54am

Re: SUL External Frame / 1-1-2009
Bill, I seem to recall that one of your earlier objectives with a framed pack was to keep the pack bag away from you back to allow perspiration to evaporate. Has that fallen by the wayside?

In Make Your Own Gear » SUL External Frame / 1-1-2009I started making another SUL External Pack Frame on New Years Day. My goal is a frame similar to the modified Harrier Frame I have been working on but that weighs closer to one pound or less. The old frame was made to carr
January 14, 1:47pm

Re: Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting
[tears of laughter running down my face] No way I can let my family see this article, they'll want to know where I found someone to write that article for me. I DID almost end up in the h...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting
January 14, 5:15am

Re: How do I bind closed cell foam?
Made some foam double boot liners from that with tricot glued to the inside and pu ripstop glued to the outside. Nice idea! Did you bond the fabric to the foam before or after assembly?

In Make Your Own Gear » How do I bind closed cell foam?
January 13, 4:25pm

Re: oven cooking bags
Anyone out there who's used Turkey bag cooking care to write a wiki article? And maybe add a Cooking category?

In Philmont » Backpacking Light @ Philmont
January 13, 11:55am

Re: How do I bind closed cell foam?
ditto Tad's suggesting of Barge cement. Our local hardware chain carries it (part of the Ace hardware "chain"). I've used it successfully on blue foam and a ridgerest pad. If...

In Make Your Own Gear » How do I bind closed cell foam?
January 13, 11:47am

Re: Roger, any links for "old black Singer sewing machine"?
Most of the home model "old black singers" were various versions of the model 15. Craigslist is a place to look. I know of one that could be bought (don't know the price yet). I ...

In Make Your Own Gear » PFAFF 330, Breaking needles ?
January 12, 6:26am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am