Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1371 - 1380 of 1989 | Page: 1 ...129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ...199

Forum » Thread

Re: sleeping in bear country
Tylenol makes sleeping pills (simply sleep) also known as benadryl, I believe.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Whats my problem
January 29, 10:28pm

Re: 2009 SHT Thru Hike List
Lake Agnes from Lutsen Speaking of Lake Agnes. This panorama is from Todd Williams. Pretty sure it's from the headland between the two campsites. I'm enjoying snow camping ... but p...

In Gear Lists » 2009 SHT Thru Hike List
January 29, 10:16am

Re: 2009 SHT Thru Hike List: Pack
Dan, Allow me to suggest ways you might be comfortable with a frameless pack with the pack weight you seem likely to end up with. (fully realizing that YMMV) In my experience (almost all with...

January 29, 8:14am

Re: 2009 SHT Thru Hike List
Photo @ Jim Jim I'd agree with you but I'm not sure which photo album you might be looking at. I have those pictures posted in at least three locations. That'd be This one

January 28, 9:06pm

OT: 2009 SHT Thru Hike List
Sam, your note prompted me to re-visit your photo album. Let me try to guess the location of another photo ... #2of36 ... North Carlson Pond?? (near the Arrowhead trail) ... the Hoover Dam of beav...

January 28, 11:42am

Re: MYOG VB Liner Test Last Night
James, Thanks for the nice test report. Yes I know most stay inside in this weather, but I prefer to see my behavior as motivated by a passion for scientific knowledge (thanks to Roger C.) ra...

In GEAR » Vapor Barrier question
January 27, 2:51pm

Re: Use of tarps
I have been using a tarptent but want to try just a tarp. In thinking about this, I kind of wonder what the tarp is actually for. Why do you use a tarp at all? What's the purpose? If it isn&...

In Philosophy & Technique » Use of tarps
January 24, 12:03pm

Re: How many wide-mouth nalgene canteens and what size?
How many wide mouth Nalgene canteens would you carry for a 3 day winter trip Sounds like an arithmetic problem to me. (Daily water needs divided by how many times per day you expect to be able ...

In Winter Hiking » How many wide-mouth nalgene canteens and what size?
January 23, 4:53pm

Re: XUL - A new standard for Lightweight Backpacking?
Haven't read much of this thread because while I might be influenced by arbitrary external standards, I'm not inclined to abide by them. But maybe I can inject a bit of humor?

In Philosophy & Technique » XUL - A new standard for Lightweight Backpacking?
January 16, 5:54am

Re: SUL External Frame / 1-1-2009
Bill, I seem to recall that one of your earlier objectives with a framed pack was to keep the pack bag away from you back to allow perspiration to evaporate. Has that fallen by the wayside?

In Make Your Own Gear » SUL External Frame / 1-1-2009I started making another SUL External Pack Frame on New Years Day. My goal is a frame similar to the modified Harrier Frame I have been working on but that weighs closer to one pound or less. The old frame was made to carr
January 14, 1:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am