Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1371 - 1380 of 1879 | Page: 1 ...129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ...188

Forum » Thread

Re: Officially joining the UL ranks . . . slowly
Note: this is in no way a judgement of the parameters you've set ... just an analysis of their wt effects. (after all, it is YOUR hike, not mine). But I feel compelled to say that at 16# base ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Officially joining the UL ranks . . . slowly
July 19, 3:02pm

Re: Short Pads
1) Do you put your pillow on top of your mat or off the end? If on top you lose length and your knees might drop off the end. 2) Do you plan on putting anything down on the ground under your feet?...

In GEAR » short thick pads
July 19, 2:23pm

short thick pads
I've always thought that short thick pads would be uncomfortable with my legs hanging over a multi inch ledge near the knees. But have never tried one. But the Thermarest NeoAir has really ...

In GEAR » short thick pads
July 19, 7:02am

Re: winter
I don't think that I'd really push out beyond the 0*F range, but that could change if I move somewhere farther north. So to me, it would be adding a larger sleeping bag (probably won'...

In GEAR » Pack suggestion
July 17, 9:24pm

Re: Pack suggestion
Based on the number of folks that love them I have no doubt that ULA makes outstanding packs, but Golite Jam2 and Pinnacle packs cost less, are somewhat lighter and definitely more available. ...

In GEAR » Pack suggestion
July 17, 10:26am

Re: Torsolight - $40
I have come to realize that I am a bit too tall for the pad Jon, It'd provide a useful data point to know how tall you are.

In Gear Swap » Torsolight - $40
July 11, 10:20am

Re: vindication for MYOG approach
Hmmmm, I've never felt a need for vindication of my MOYG fun ... but Erin's Hig's experience IS a prime example of "the more you know, the less you need"

In Make Your Own Gear » vindication for MYOG approach
July 11, 6:39am

Re: Has anyone tried Dacron line?
I'd like to pick up some dacron fishing / kite line Eric, Buying online you'll pay as much for the minimum shipping/handling fee as for a spool of 100lb kite line. I'm within wal...

In Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: Tarp Guylines
July 10, 7:52pm

Re: Guyline tensioners
re: exped tensioners Those look useful ... except that like tautline hitches and most other adjustable tensioners, they can only adjust from near full length of the line to near half of it's...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ditch Your Stakes: A Guide To Alternative Shelter Anchors
July 09, 3:10pm

Re: PCT Clothes for TEN days
I am still debating how many pairs of sox for ten days? Jay, I was content (pleased!) bringing pair of liners and two pair of thicker sox for 11 trail days at Philmont last year. Two pair of un...

In GEAR » PCT Clothes for TEN days
July 03, 11:26am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am