Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1371 - 1380 of 1890 | Page: 1 ...129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ...189

Forum » Thread

Re: MYOG Backpack Drawings
Plans for two packs at GossamerGear Actual pattern and kit for one of those (the G4) available at Quest Outfitters

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Backpack Drawings
August 17, 6:20pm

Re: Night Hiking Newbie
I would generally suggest either a hand light or mounting your headlamp someplace down near your waist. Much more effective than the light source coming from the same location as your eyes. Andr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Night Hiking Newbie
August 17, 6:07pm

Re: NEW SPINNTEX EXP
It is a ripstop nylon with silicone impregnation on both sides just like the previous Spinntex but is improved in every way. Nylon? I had thought that Spinntex .97 was polyester ... or am I rem...

In GEAR » NEW SPINNTEX EXP
August 16, 6:21am

Re: Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian- 2nd failure out of 2
Granite Gear; are you listening? Sorry to hear Granite Gear is having quality problems, that's an area they tend to focus on. They've always been responsive to my queries (info queries,...

In GEAR » Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian- 2nd failure out of 2
August 15, 9:33am

Re: Packrafting in the BWCAW?
I've been wondering the much the same ... except more along the lines of canoing to one of the BWCAW's Primitive Management Areas, caching the canoe and bushwhacking into small lakes insid...

In Packrafting » Packrafting in the BWCAW?
August 12, 1:07pm

Re: Brawny Gear Brawny Sleepnet
The dual use aspect of this is attractive but for my own most common situation (upper midwest summers), there are many nights which start out too warm to be in a sleeping bag or under a quilt so I ...

In GEAR » Brownie Gear Brownie Sleepnet
August 05, 10:02pm

Re: Bright colours
Come on guys, stop trying to avoid pointing the finger at hunter stupidity. Roger is partially correct regarding stupidity. But I'll submit that merely rising above stupidity is inadequate ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Hunter Shoots Hiker in Washington State
August 05, 9:51pm

Re: Convincing Non-Backpackers
Micheal, It only took me eight years to accomplish that so maybe my advice ain't so useful ... but I recruited another backpacking scouter to help me bootstrap the idea. First trip we had...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » A Forum for Scouts and Scouters
August 05, 3:45pm

Re: Trek 23, July 10-22
Phil, Thanks for the great trip/gear report.

In Philmont » LIghtweight Philmont Experince
July 24, 9:36pm

Re: Spinnaker Shortage
Thanks for the explanation Ron. Good to hear there's a good possibility of seeing it available again pretty soon. Of course a 25% cost increase leaves a big lump in my throat but it's...

In GEAR » Spinnaker shortages
July 22, 8:11am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am