BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1361 - 1370 of 1569 | Page: 1 ...128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ...157

Forum » Thread

Re: Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
Mike, My Jardine plot was derived from an old article pointing out the discrepancies between the Jardine and Jordan rating systems. They were the two acknowledged gurus during the bygone era whe...

In GEAR » Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
January 12, 12:22am

Dondo-Laurence should be able to provide the numbers for MH in Europe. His contanct info is as follows: Laurence Ohlmann, Mountain Hardwear Coordinator Mountain Hardwear, GmbH Espace Europee...

January 11, 7:01pm

Mike, I just re analyzed your numbers and came up with a R2 .9919 linear regression fit. The non linear regression fit yielded an R2 of .9935. I thought the small difference was in the noise lev...

January 11, 6:46pm

Mitchell-Yes there are a number of real world variables that can raise havoc with a rating. Those that come to mind in priority sequence are as follows: -The standard assumes you are using a pad...

January 11, 5:37pm

Mitchell-A method for adjusting the “average” temperature rating was covered in prior forum posts. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3249/index.html?ski...

January 11, 12:56pm

The variation in a bag's perceived warmth, assuming the same environmental variables, is primarily determined by the individual’s basal metabolic rate. It can be simply calculated (inputs are...

January 11, 10:38am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
Paul-You are correct. I meant sleeping bag heat transfer. I just updated my post to preceed "heat" with "sleeping bag". In this context, heat is actually generated if any moistu...

January 11, 9:55am

Re: Re: Re: Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
Relative to point 2: Sleeping bag heat is lost through three transfer mechanisms. -Natural convection heat loss is negligible for all insulation types. -Conduction heat loss is inversely propo...

January 11, 12:31am

Re: What exactly is clo?
It is a measure of thermal resistance for some specified thickness of insulation. clo, R value, TOG, and m2 K/W alll measure the same thing and you can convert from one representation to another. c...

In Make Your Own Gear » What exactly is clo?
January 09, 4:54pm

Re: Re: Re: when you can't rely on DWR
Nicholas-Many manufacturers use their own brand names on fabrics they purchase OEM from Brookwood. I suggest you use the same approach that Bill F. has used in the past to get additional informatio...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
January 06, 9:15am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm