Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1361 - 1370 of 1965 | Page: 1 ...128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ...197

Forum » Thread

Re: Roger, any links for "old black Singer sewing machine"?
Most of the home model "old black singers" were various versions of the model 15. Craigslist is a place to look. I know of one that could be bought (don't know the price yet). I ...

In Make Your Own Gear » PFAFF 330, Breaking needles ?
January 12, 6:26am

Re: "The new jam2 has landed"
Just noticed the new Jam2 is a 3100 L pack. That's over 109 cubic feet.....wow Just about big enough to carry 15lbs of uncompressed 800FP down ... now THAT's feature creep!

In GEAR » The new jam2 has landed
January 09, 7:09am

Re: a dang credit card.
yet another HYOH thing

In Gear Lists » Early Spring / Late Fall list
January 09, 7:06am

Re: Trend towards "sturdier", heavier gear
The durability thing is a real issue. When the GG G6 (or maybe G5?) was first released, the product description went WAY out if it's way to explain that a majority of the backpacking populatio...

In GEAR » Trend towards "sturdier", heavier gear
January 08, 1:44pm

Re: It didn't work for me...
The item stayed at the same sale price but no extra reduction... ditto here

In Gear Deals » REI 50% off .83
January 08, 11:08am

Re: A Passion Found, Lost, and Rediscovered
How fortunate we are to know someone with such a balanced point of view and the word skills to express it well. Thanks, Tony. This article will join Doug Prosser's when I strive to sell UL ...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Passion Found, Lost, and Rediscovered
January 07, 9:47am

RE: Will they let you do this?
What are your thoughts on boots vs. trailrunners? I never make footwear recommendations ... but at the end of the day I'd say "look for a good deal on some lighter low cut shoes, use th...

In Philmont » Will they let you do this?
January 06, 3:34pm

Implications of UL Base Weight
paraphrasing Paul: It's still about the experience out there (outside in the real world), not in here (cyberspace). hear, hear! I once knew a Soils Science PHD candidate doing research on t...

In Philosophy & Technique » Implications of UL Base Weight
January 06, 2:53pm

Implications of UL Base Weight
The issue I've had with "he who dies with the lightest pack wins" is that I want to come back alive! So my adaptation is "he who comes back content/happy/pleased with the ligh...

In Philosophy & Technique » Implications of UL Base Weight
January 06, 12:07pm

Re: It’s different for everyone. . .
Roger says: Ahhhh... I beg to disagree. Sweating is a physiological reaction to excess body temperature. Keep the temp down and the body does not need to sweat like that. and Chad says: what wo...

In GEAR » Another breathability question
January 05, 2:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am