BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1351 - 1360 of 1569 | Page: 1 ...127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ...157

Forum » Thread

Re: Food intake for 20 hour days
AAron-What is your BMR, VO2max, and %of VO2max that you anticipate averaging?

In GEAR » Food intake for 20 hour days
January 20, 12:29am

Re: Re: Determining ideal R-value for pads
Mike, R=(DT*A)/Q Q and A are constants because I am using my body and the same bag for all tests. The only variables are R and DT. So by measuring DT, I can calculate R. I used the Thermar...

In GEAR » Determining ideal R-value for pads
January 16, 3:08pm

Re: Determining ideal R-value for pads
Ben-This should be easier to understand. A simplistic way to determine a reasonable pad to use is to use the "Sleeping Pads Used with the Speer SPE line" temperature rating. The accurate ...

January 16, 1:31pm

Ben-Reference my 1/11/07 post at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/5625/index.html?skip_to_post=40672#40672 Multiply the clo value, at the top of my char...

January 16, 12:56pm

Mike, For the heat source, I interval measured (computer based system) the temperature on my back, 18" down from my neck. For the heat sink, I interval measured the temperature on the botto...

January 16, 11:53am

I also started out saying "Hmmm, indeed" but, came away a believer. The Torsolite uses the same construction as the POE Maxlite. I tested the R value of the '05 version of the POE ...

January 16, 10:03am

Re: Lite insulation layer
Aaron-Why did you use the blue material for the seams in addition to the wedding veil material to hold the insulation? Couldn't the veil also act as the seam?

In Make Your Own Gear » Lite insulation layer
January 15, 6:59pm

Re: Re: Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
Erin-I will assume the couple is in a spoon or back to back position. That would reduce their respective quilt exposed body surface areas by about 40% and hence their respective insulation requirem...

In GEAR » Speaking of Loft (Sleeping Bags)
January 12, 6:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maroon Bells (Oct 2006)
Steve-You are going to be famous. Your photography is awesome. Thank you for sharing it with us.

In Photo Gallery » Maroon Bells (Oct 2006)
January 12, 12:54am

The average insulation value for 1" of dead air space (loft) is 4 clo or R = 3.5. Conventional high loft insulation such as Polarguard or old style insulation like wool blankets will closely m...

January 12, 12:50am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm