BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1311 - 1320 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Crocks
I have used standard Crocs to take many hikes. The comfort, low weight, and lack of water absorption are great. The lack of traction was a frequent issue on the slippery spots and occasionally I wo...

In GEAR » Crocks
March 13, 12:48pm

Houdini info
Brett-I think your assessment is correct. The Houdini micro-fibers appear to be coated prior to weaving similar to Nextec’s EPIC process. This is “silicone encapsulated fibers”. There are...

In Gear Deals » Wind Shirt
March 05, 8:37pm

Re: Joe, re:wind shirt
Brett- The threads used to make the Houdini appear to be micro-fibers encapsulted in silicon. Theorectically, you shouldn't have to DWR this windshirt for a very long time, if ever.

In Gear Deals » Wind Shirt
March 05, 10:24am

Re: Re: Air Permeable Laminate vs. Gore Tex Type Laminates
Ben-Thank you for some additional information of value that wasn't covered in the BPL related articles. I tried to find an independent source for Polkatex DWR but, I didn't have any luck.

In GEAR » DWR, WP Coating vs. WP Laminate
March 02, 11:25am

Re: R values everywhere!
Dondo - See my response to Erin to answer your first question. Relative to the destruction methods: -They quilted nylon taffeta fabric (MIL-C-21852 Type III) to either side of test insulatio...

In GEAR » R values everywhere!
February 27, 10:49pm

Erin-The research was designed to determine the clo reduction for the three classes of insulation used in sleeping bags. The clo loss characteristics for any sleeping bag insulation can be closely ...

February 27, 10:10pm

Frank Ramos said-"My experience is that Polarguard 3D, which is generally considered one of the more durable synthetics, loses from 30% to 40% of its loft after a month of use, and then loses ...

February 26, 12:03pm

Re: Hydration Hot Weather
-Wear light colored (white preferably) clothing, light weight, and loose fitting clothing/hat. This will minimize solar radiation absorption and maximize cooling from sweat evaporation. -Don'...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Hydration Hot Weather
February 23, 10:26am

Re: Taylor Meadows, Garibaldi Park near Squamish
Brian-Definitely not boring... thank you for sharing with us.

In Post-Trip Reports » Taylor Meadows, Garibaldi Park near Squamish
February 19, 10:57pm

Re: Les Miserables (Alaskan Coast)
Roman-For the last two years I have spent 1 1/2 months, each year, kayaking portions of the SC and SE Alaskan coast. I have been successfully using a Black Diamond Megamid (pyramid shelter). I am c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Miserable Environment: The Worst Conditions?
February 16, 9:04am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm