BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1301 - 1310 of 1887 | Page: 1 ...122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ...189

Forum » Thread

Re: I'm down with that
"Can old and tired synthetic jackets be refreshed or re-lofted also?" A definite maybe. 1) Synthetic is normally sold in self supporting bats. It needs a lot more baffling to hold do...

In Make Your Own Gear » dumb down question may cause downageddon
November 17, 3:30pm

Re: Re: Re: cooking fish without fire
I agree. Eating fresh water fish is real dangerous. Like pork, make sure it is fully cooked, however you want it cooked.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » cooking fish w/o fire
November 17, 11:08am

Re: Goose Down is indeed taken from bird that have been killed.
"Unfortunately, goose and duck down is taken as a byproduct of the meat industry--there's no way to humanely pluck a live bird. One exception is the rare eider down, which is supposedly co...

In GEAR » Possum Down Gloves — Ethical Alternative?
November 17, 11:01am

Re: Sweet
"Very good question I was just thinking about this today. I think it may be a good balance I was thinking a layer of 2.5 ounce climashield as the outer layer and 6 ounces of down on the inside...

In Make Your Own Gear » dumb down question may cause downageddon
November 17, 5:36am

Re: The mUV
Thanks, Kevin. You are correct, I got a note from them a little bit ago: Here is what they had to say: The new mUV. $49 plus $8 shipping to anywhere in USA. A micro sized uv water purifier for ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Using the SteriPEN over AquaMira: Carrying less water
November 16, 2:35pm

Re: Electronic Versus Chemical - Carrying Less Water
Kevin, Is Meridian still making a mUV? I still have the older first generation model and was thinking about upgrading, so I checked the web site. I dropped them a note but haven't heard. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Using the SteriPEN over AquaMira: Carrying less water
November 16, 1:11pm

Re: testing 1,2,3...!
James, Yeah, those are pretty much the conclusions I came up with. Smaller can be done under the right conditions, like if you are really making miles. Larger for camp comfort. 8'x10' ...

In GEAR » "ideal" size for a solo flat tarp?
November 16, 9:30am

Re: Re: Excessive Thermal Feedback in an Alcohol Stove
Lockon (too many Jims and James here...hope you don't mind), isopropinol is no good as a fuel. It does indeed require a lot of free oxygen to burn. But, without some sort of premixing, and a su...

In GEAR » SLX Denatured Alcohol vs HEET vs Green (Klean Strip) Denatured Alcohol
November 16, 8:40am

Re: Re: Using the SteriPEN over AquaMira: Carrying less water
Yeah, all electrical devices do require a backup of some sort of backup if you will be placing your health at risk with them. Map&compass for GPS, chemical treatments for steripens. Campfires f...

November 16, 6:54am

"Extending sleeping bag ratings"
Yeah, I hear that. Over the past 20 years or so I have tried all sorts of things. Most work to some degree. Some work well for one night, etc... Generally, I use two bags: A 0F winter bag and a ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Extending sleeping bag ratings
November 15, 11:46am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am