BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1301 - 1310 of 1890 | Page: 1 ...122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ...189

Forum » Thread

Re: Using Line-locs
Donna, You could use a long hair tie, split in half. for a single length of cord. These usually last a year or more. Personnaly, I would remove them. Then using a loop-to-loop connection...

In GEAR » Using Line-loc
November 18, 8:17am

New metal: 100x lighter than Styrofoam
It appears to be a simple latice like structure composed of small metal tubes or pins. Not really a new metal. Coupled with the 1000x strength increases in the so-called nano technology (direct...

In GEAR » New metal: 100x lighter than Styrofoam
November 18, 4:47am

Re: Re: Re: Clean burning stoves
"I have 2 stoves that will burn iso91 clean. The Super Stove with reduced pot support height and the Ring of Fire stove. Photos of these stoves have been posted on Whiteblaze.net, youtube, her...

In GEAR » SLX Denatured Alcohol vs HEET vs Green (Klean Strip) Denatured Alcohol
November 18, 3:08am

Re: I'm down with that
"Can old and tired synthetic jackets be refreshed or re-lofted also?" A definite maybe. 1) Synthetic is normally sold in self supporting bats. It needs a lot more baffling to hold do...

In Make Your Own Gear » dumb down question may cause downageddon
November 17, 3:30pm

Re: Re: Re: cooking fish without fire
I agree. Eating fresh water fish is real dangerous. Like pork, make sure it is fully cooked, however you want it cooked.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » cooking fish w/o fire
November 17, 11:08am

Re: Goose Down is indeed taken from bird that have been killed.
"Unfortunately, goose and duck down is taken as a byproduct of the meat industry--there's no way to humanely pluck a live bird. One exception is the rare eider down, which is supposedly co...

In GEAR » Possum Down Gloves — Ethical Alternative?
November 17, 11:01am

Re: Sweet
"Very good question I was just thinking about this today. I think it may be a good balance I was thinking a layer of 2.5 ounce climashield as the outer layer and 6 ounces of down on the inside...

In Make Your Own Gear » dumb down question may cause downageddon
November 17, 5:36am

Re: The mUV
Thanks, Kevin. You are correct, I got a note from them a little bit ago: Here is what they had to say: The new mUV. $49 plus $8 shipping to anywhere in USA. A micro sized uv water purifier for ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Using the SteriPEN over AquaMira: Carrying less water
November 16, 2:35pm

Re: Electronic Versus Chemical - Carrying Less Water
Kevin, Is Meridian still making a mUV? I still have the older first generation model and was thinking about upgrading, so I checked the web site. I dropped them a note but haven't heard. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Using the SteriPEN over AquaMira: Carrying less water
November 16, 1:11pm

Re: testing 1,2,3...!
James, Yeah, those are pretty much the conclusions I came up with. Smaller can be done under the right conditions, like if you are really making miles. Larger for camp comfort. 8'x10' ...

In GEAR » "ideal" size for a solo flat tarp?
November 16, 9:30am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am