Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1301 - 1310 of 2028 | Page: 1 ...122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ...203

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Excellent Thread & Good Info...
I believe the CocaCola company actually packages soda in a round, PET bottle around the holidays. Now would be a good time to get a 6 pack....

In GEAR » Which brand of denatured alcohol? Where to get it in US?
December 23, 3:47pm

Re: Using Your Pack As Your Bearbag
Yes. I have done that in the past. It is easier to simply carry a light bear line, since my food is already in a bag...often a corner of a garbage bag. 6 or 7 pounds is fairly easy to get up, 20lbs...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Bear Bagging and SUL
December 23, 10:59am

Re: Layering synthetic Insulated Clothing over a Down Bag
Yes. With synthetics, the same principle applies. The physics of heat transfer will never change. Only the particulars (water & humidity, ventilation, and temperature) will.

In GEAR » Layering synthetic Insulated Clothing over a Down Bag
December 23, 5:05am

Re: Lungs vs Microburst comparison?
It takes roughly 20-30 breaths to blow up a NeoAir regular/large. I was using a regular, and I counted 22-24 breaths pretty consistantly without getting dizzy. About 1.5-2 minutes. I am guessing a ...

In GEAR » Camp-tek Microburst?
December 23, 4:00am

Re: Excellent Thread & Good Info...
Newton, Great post and reminder for all members! I hear you on the toxicity. Stores in NY don't carry Everclear or similar. Some state law that limits drinking alcohol to around 75% or so....

In GEAR » Which brand of denatured alcohol? Where to get it in US?
December 23, 3:52am

Re: Re: Gasoline components
Ha ha, Don't even think of asking what is in White Gas. You really don't want to know, nor do the distillers. Mostly, and in it's easiest understood form, a fractionating tower is a...

In GEAR » DIY Alcohol Stove Design -- Basic Considerations
December 22, 2:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Everclear vs. Green Denatured
"Isn't that a main ingredient in gasoline!" Supposed to be. Several different isotopes, longer chained, shorter chained organics involved, too.

December 22, 12:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Everclear vs. Green Denatured
"I'm also still very curious to do a side by side test of Green denatured vs. Everclear. I still believe the denaturants are contributing to the soot." Before you start changing an...

December 22, 12:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Everclear vs. Green Denatured
Wow, that is bloody TERRIBLE. Hmmm....I don't remember an issue between reagent grade ethanol and SLX...they both burned fairly clean. I am only somewhere around 1000' in elevation, though....

December 22, 8:08am

Re: Frame for "frameless" pack
Using CCF(Closed Cell Foam) pads for a frame is an old idea and a good one. You make a good point about two pads being needed to stiffen a frameless pack. The buttons you mention are really no heav...

In Make Your Own Gear » Frame for "frameless" pack
December 22, 7:42am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am