BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1301 - 1310 of 1916 | Page: 1 ...122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ...192

Forum » Thread

Re: re: re: re^n: stoves & things
Hi Kevin, You wrote: "If you use a larger canister, then, using Derek's approach, the mass of container you need to add to each burn is reduced, and you'll start to 'break even&#...

In Make Your Own Gear » A simple alcohol stove more fuel effecient than the Jim Wood Super Cat?
November 29, 7:25am

Feathered Friends vs. Western Mountaineering
There isn't a lot of difference between the two, both are high end companies. Good stuff *is* good stuff. You will be happy with either. The difference between 850 and 900 is more a matter ...

In GEAR » Feathered Friends vs. Western Mountaineering
November 29, 6:18am

How Cold of Weather Can I Run My Gas Stove In?
The generally accepted number is 20F/-7C is when they die. Though a full canister may get a bit more life depending on the blend of fuel. Running at 32F is OK but the heat production will be down t...

In GEAR » How Cold of Weather Can I Run My Gas Stove In?
November 29, 4:47am

Cowboy Coffee
Excelent tip. Note that chewing a few beans allows the flavor to keep for quite a while. Since I grew up in an old italian family, I was pretty much weaned on hot, right from the roster, coffee bea...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
November 28, 5:59pm

Re: re^n: stoves & things
"> A very interesting article you wrote on OM. What would happen if you started with a 450g canister rather than a 230g canister? What would happen if you only boiled 1 liter per day (500ml...

In Make Your Own Gear » A simple alcohol stove more fuel effecient than the Jim Wood Super Cat?
November 28, 12:32pm

Re: Kids pack suggestions??
This is a tough question. Really, she is a bit young for a full sized pack. And too large for a small bookbag type pack. Many years go I solved this problem by sewing on a couple pouches(two full l...

In GEAR » Kids pack suggestions??
November 28, 6:51am

"A simple alcohol stove more fuel effecient than the Jim Wood Super Cat?"
Getting back on topic, witha a caldera cone and a small burner, it *is* possible to get 2 cups to boil from 40F water temp and 68F air temp with about 1/3ounce of fuel. I was also using a special a...

November 28, 5:21am

Re: Re: 850 vrs. 900 fill down..
"I use various sleeping bags and garment with 900fp down and I did not relaise they need to be washed so often to retain loft." I didn't either when I got my first down. I washed i...

In GEAR » 850 vrs. 900 fill down..
November 27, 4:30pm

Re: Re: Proper winter fuels
Well said guys!

In Winter Hiking » Inverted Canister Stove Winter Fuel Consumption
November 27, 2:16pm

Re: Wow
This is an ongoing and open debate. Theory says go with 900 Fp down. Practice says go with 850. Like a good Ferrari, it goes like hell, but they always need a tune up.

In GEAR » 850 vrs. 900 fill down..
November 27, 2:04pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am