Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1301 - 1310 of 1964 | Page: 1 ...122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ...197

Forum » Thread

Re: Where to sell my UL stuff?
Join and sell to a targeted audience. You might even get a few more dollars. (Almost anything that is UL will sell here provided it still has miles left on it.) Go somewhere free, post and see how...

In Chaff » Where to sell my UL stuff?
December 13, 2:10pm

Re: Re: Pleated Conical Alky
"Having only recently dismantled the 'stove assembly facility' from my front room to make way for guests, I can see that I might have to re-open said facility... I might use the same t...

In Make Your Own Gear » A simple alcohol stove more fuel effecient than the Jim Wood Super Cat?
December 13, 11:48am

Re: protecting tools
Yeah with a few drops of oil...

In GEAR » What to do with old wool socks?
December 13, 6:43am

GG Murmur 2012 reviews
You can be placed on the waiting list if you want one. It is not available yet...

In GEAR » GG Murmur 2012 reviews
December 13, 6:15am

Re: Re: Re: Re: DIY Alcohol Stove Design -- Basic Considerations
Basic stove design really isn't a matter of stoves. It is a matter of *systems*. Small stoves that seem to not burn that well can burn quite well with proper mods to other pieces of the system...

In GEAR » DIY Alcohol Stove Design -- Basic Considerations
December 13, 4:26am

Pulley....
Mike, Many years ago I figured out the pulley system as you describe, cept I also used a small 1/4" pully that weighed about an ounce, each. For full food bags, it sure helps. Especially wit...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
December 12, 4:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pleated Conical Alky
BM, Yeah it works real well with all sorts of alcohols. I started out to buld a high density fuel burner, though. WG was the target fuel. So, that was a failure. It always produced enough soot, ex...

In Make Your Own Gear » A simple alcohol stove more fuel effecient than the Jim Wood Super Cat?
December 12, 4:00pm

Re: considering
Bryce, basically these are sharpened like a chisel or plane iron in the sense they are ONLY sharpened on ONE SIDE. You will find the other side will sharpen fine provided it is lapped clean periodi...

In Gear Deals » Kestrel Ultralight Knives - BPL Special!!
December 12, 7:36am

Socks: wool vs synthetic
Generally, I use two/three pair when hiking/paddling. One is always kept dry, usually in my sleeping bag for sleeping in a large thick pair. Paddling trips often require two. These are both...

In GEAR » Socks: wool vs synthetic
December 12, 7:03am

Re: cord ties
I have had good luck at an electrical shop, too. They often have 30' or 10 meter rolls of the stuff.

In Make Your Own Gear » double sided hook and loop
December 11, 6:27am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am