BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1301 - 1310 of 1855 | Page: 1 ...122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ...186

Forum » Thread

"Lower limit of UNinverted canister"
Well, It really doesn't happen that all the propane is burned off first. It is just primarily propane. Read this and note that there is still some vapoure pressure even at about -40F (though no...

In Winter Hiking » Lower limit of UNinverted canister
October 11, 2:19pm

"Whats the lightest chair?"
Technically, it is a stool and not a full chair, but this is a real light weight, servicable stool (~14oz stripped down.) Great for long hikes with out a place to sit. They dry off easily and are f...

In GEAR » Whats the lightest chair?
October 11, 7:10am

Re: Pre-heat on cannister
Ha, ha....no. Fuels all burn the same way. Only the boiling point varies. Or heat of vaporization or whatever the fancy technical term for it is these days: wax, Alcohol, lp gas, isobutane, butane ...

In GEAR » Pre-heat tube on cannister-top burner: reasons why?
September 10, 12:24pm

Re: Re: Pre-heat tube on cannister-top burner: reasons why?
A preheat tube is not really necessary for temps above freezing (32F.) Below that, they become increasingly useful down to about 20F, as Jerry says. Below that they are necessary. I never camp ...

In GEAR » Pre-heat tube on cannister-top burner: reasons why?
September 10, 9:57am

"Catch and release"
C&R is fine. Catching to eat is fine. I cannot say how or why others do what they do. Or even guess as to their motives. That is up to them. I fish a lot. For the past twenty years, trout on...

In Fishing » Catch and release
September 10, 7:05am

Re: washing goose down
I hope there is nothing wrong with the fill. But down is not that hard to wash, or, to dry. A little knowledge and some care is all that is needed. I think you did things mostly OK, but you may hav...

In GEAR » washing goose down
September 10, 5:47am

Stinky!
Mike, yeah, you stink! I love this tip, and, I must admit to being downright bad smelling sometimes. Extra clothing weighs a lot. I almost never bring any. My concession is midweight long johns...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
September 09, 1:10pm

Expiration date on hiking?
Well said! Keep on truckin'!

In Philosophy & Technique » Expiration date on hiking?
September 06, 5:15am

Re: Is TT DR the only one?
Sorry Shawn, missed the two door thing...

In GEAR » Is TT DR the only one?
September 05, 2:37am

Re: Is TT DR the only one?
No. The warmlites are around 2.33lb or so. All options add weight, of course. http://warmlite.com/tents/tents-technical-data Many others in that weight range. Too many to list...

In GEAR » Is TT DR the only one?
September 04, 4:30am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am