BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1301 - 1310 of 1778 | Page: 1 ...122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ...178

Forum » Thread

Chemicals Aren't So Light
Yes and no. You always carry 2 liters to start with. This is about 1k more than you have to, unless you are at a long run between water sources. This isn't usually a problem in the ADK's, i...

In GEAR » Light water filtration/treatment options ?
May 20, 11:12am

Re: nylon expanding
Nylon threads should solve the problem. I have many spools of this I bought several years ago for fly tying. That might be a bit thin for sewing, though... an example

In Make Your Own Gear » Tarp taughtness
May 20, 10:49am

Re: Re: Simmer with a Cone
"Take a heavy foil liner - like a "pot pie" pan, shape it over the bottom of a pop can, trim the ragged edge, and cut a slot in the top." Yeah, I have also played with a notc...

In GEAR » Cook System Questions
May 20, 7:17am

Re: Sooty fuel
"I was told that denatured alcohol has a lot of crap in it besides the alcohol to keep people from consuming it. I have had the best luck with 100% methanol. One thing to keep in mind is that ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tealight Stove Problems
May 20, 3:13am

Re: 7 yards of Sil Nylon for a MYOG Tarp Project
"Sidenote topic: In the SMD Nightwing Tarp instructions they say "The use of binding tape on the front and rear edge seams and the ridgeline is very important. These seams take the bulk o...

In Make Your Own Gear » 7 yards of Sil Nylon for a MYOG Tarp Project
May 17, 5:06am

I used them
Yeah, they do not last really well. I got three days out of one. So, they are fine for a weekend. Finger in the mouth? Well, it was not the first time and surly won't be the last... Even th...

In GEAR » Colgate Wisp - Reusable?
May 17, 2:15am

Re: A&H enterprises
I have also dealt with them in the past. Try again on monday. They were good a couple years ago.

In GEAR » A&H Enterprises
May 15, 11:49am

Re: loose laces
Feet are as different as fingerprints. Sometimes shoes need inserts. Sometimes they don't. Footbed design will effect that as much as lacing and inserts. Hiking in the ADK's, I mostly agree...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
May 15, 6:14am

Re: Caloric Density Spreadsheet
There are a lot of subtle pitfalls to spreadsheets for food. Yes, they might help with sorting caloric density, but you may find yourself craving certain foods and not prepared to eat that snicke...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Caloric Density Spreadsheet
May 14, 5:27am

bic
I use bics, too. I would avoid the peizo ones due to poor track records with failures. Only a fire steel, or, mini fire steel is lighter, but, requires a bit more fiddling and dry tinder. There was...

In GEAR » Mini-Bic lighter
May 13, 3:19am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am