Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks. No longer a GG Trail Ambassador.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1301 - 1310 of 2200 | Page: 1 ...122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ...220

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting ticketed for stealth camping
Yeah, I think I would agree. The caveate is that motorized access often means more people. Some percentage will liter. Camp grounds with motor vehicals allowed are no different from back woods camp...

In Philosophy & Technique » Getting ticketed for stealth camping
May 18, 7:22am

Re: Good news!
Liners do not work that well compared with an extra layer of clothing. I would disagree with that. They keep the bag cleaner on a long trip, hence, it will provide better insulation. But it takes a...

In GEAR » Sleeping bag help
May 18, 4:31am

Re: How long might some of these things last?
1. Pre-cooked real bacon that I cooked myself (not the shelf-stable crumbles.) Depends... How dry do you cook it? How much salt in it to start with? Added Sugar? Cooked till crumbly, I would say ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » How long might some of these things last?
May 17, 6:40pm

Re: Re: Taking the Plunge and Looking for a Single pair Trail/Camp/Water Shoes
I agree on superfeet. Liners are basically 4 types near as I can remember. Open celled foam, closed cell foam, carved built-up leather, plastic, usually a PE variety. The combinations can be a lot ...

In GEAR » Taking the Plunge and Looking for a Single pair Trail/Camp/Water Shoes
May 17, 6:17pm

Re: Re: How long after becoming a Member does it take to have the (M) show up next to your name in posts?
Jerry, you are showing your age...no further comment...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » How long after becoming a Member does it take to have the (M) show up next to your name in posts?
May 17, 2:34pm

Re: Re: Re: How long after becoming a Member does it take to have the (M) show up next to your name in posts?
Bob, I had to convert these progrms onto tapes. I like to think BPL has the real 16bps drives! Yeah it takes a day or two.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » How long after becoming a Member does it take to have the (M) show up next to your name in posts?
May 17, 4:44am

Re: River and Walking Shoe
This has been a problem for me, also. I swapped out my heavy waders forregular hiking shoes. I use the leather, Timberland Chocorua Trail w/ Gore-Tex®Chuka. I have used these for around ten years....

In GEAR » Taking the Plunge and Looking for a Single pair Trail/Camp/Water Shoes
May 17, 4:19am

Re: Not quite UL but under 1200grams for a shelter required with specific needs in mind.
Mostly, your params sound like a UL tent with good ventilation and good condensation characteristics (hightlow vents.) This opens up a world of possibilities. Tarps and UL tents in all sorts of...

In GEAR » Not quite UL but under 1200grams for a shelter required with specific needs in mind.
May 13, 6:15am

Re: Wool is Dependable.
I agree. Wool rarely fails. If it does, it is only after wearing it a LOT. I have used UUL Ibex for 5-6 years, between 30-90 nights per year. The only complaint is that it does get a bit streached ...

In GEAR » Smartwool Microweight or REI Silk base-layers for JMT hike
May 11, 9:08pm

"which size tarp should I get?"
I will agree with others that say a 7'x9'. Here in the NE, we get a bit of rain. Most trips I count on having some. 7x9 would be the minimum I would accept. I also use a small pack, 2200ci ...

In GEAR » which size tarp should I get?
May 11, 2:43pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Steripen Adventurer Opti
They finally revamped the old Adventurer with the Opti. 1) Improved battery life - The old unit went through batteries at about 25-30L per set. This was primarily because of leaving the batteries ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 16, 5:29am

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am