BPL Community Profile

Luke Schmidt (Cameron) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale The WOODS
About Me Pursuing Christ, relationships, and adventure in that order. Nicknamed "Chief" because I grew up with a tribe of vegetarian cannibals on a small island off the coast of Iowa.
CityMidland TX
StateTexas
CountryUnited States
My Website URLhttp://westtexasmountainman.wordpress.com/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Luke Schmidt

Showing 1301 - 1310 of 2082 | Page: 1 ...122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ...209

Forum » Thread

Canteen Cups
Speaking of Army surplus stores I've used a canteen cup with good success. Sure there are a few lighter things out there but its hard to beat for the price. When I worked in NC we got a lot o...

In GEAR » Inexpensive Alternatives
February 05, 9:25pm

Don't use this
One cheap gear I won't every use again would be army surplus rain jackets. They probably weren't UL anyway but we took a set up to Colorado when I was 14 and happened to get rained on whil...

February 05, 9:09pm

Put me second in line for a nest if one is available
Put me second in line for a nest if one is available.

In Gear Swap » FS: Cuben Cub Den, GoLite SL-1 Nests, pack cover, Mantis netting
February 05, 7:01pm

Short pad
My grandfather was adament that a short pad was uncomfortable. The short pad he tried was about 1.5 inches thick. I've used short foam pad a lot so I don't notice the drop off. I have us...

In GEAR » Sleeping pad....need ideas....
February 05, 5:32pm

I actually read that 1982 article, I think someone posted a pdf of it. It was interesting. I believe the author and a friend got their packs down to about 8 pounds baseweight. The packs could ha...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ultralight: State of the Revolution
February 05, 5:27pm

Tell me more
If you still have it what is different about a Super Burn? I have a regular Burn but there are a few things I'd change. Maybe a Super Burn would fit the bill.

In Gear Swap » FS: MLD Super Burn
February 05, 3:32pm

Bivies and temp ratings
I've found a bivy sack really increased the warmth of my quilt. If yours is more generiously sized it might not be a big a deal but I think it helps. If you can make a quilt a simple bivy sho...

In Make Your Own Gear » I made a synthetic quilt (1st sewing project ever)
February 04, 10:10pm

One idea
If you already have both shelters one idea would be to put the tent in a bounce box to Breckenridge. It will take you about 5 days to get there at the pace you mentioned earlier. It relatively dr...

In GEAR » Bugs, July, Colorado Trail.
February 04, 5:42pm

Cheap Gear
There is a lot of cheap stuff if you shop around. I have a Merrino wool sweather my mom fount for $6 at an outlet. It was being marketed as a causel sweater not an outdoor one but I don't...

February 04, 3:25pm

Hat
PM sent on hat.

In Gear Swap » FS: Native Sunglasses, Patagonia El Ray LS shirt, Mountain Hardware Compressor Beanie
February 04, 1:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Luke Schmidt

Luke Schmidt has posted no reviews.