Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Ashdown (waterloggedwellies) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale United Kingdom
About Me I live just north of London in the UK near to the Chiltern Hills and adjacent to open countryside. I'm within walking distance of several iron age settlements and one of the oldest walking trails in the UK. Natural springs, woodlands, water mills, windmills, old churches, castles and an abundance of wildlife are all within walking distance and are great for weekend trips.

For longer trips, well the glaciated lakes of the lake district and the mountains of Scotland and Wales beckon.

The UK is truly an amazing place!
CityLuton
StateBedfordshire
CountryEngland

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Ashdown

Showing 131 - 140 of 162 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Forum » Thread

Drying a platypus?
Thanks Benjamin & Eric for the comments. My house is pretty warm, central heating etc, so the Platy dries out pretty quickly along with clothes, bowls and all the other type of stuff. When not in u...

In GEAR » drying a platypus?
March 29, 2:58pm

Re: Re: drying a platypus?
I've never had any problems with my Platy. I will usually give it a good rinse before I depart on a trip and then fill it with clean tap water just before I leave. On the trail, I treat my water an...

In GEAR » drying a platypus?
March 29, 12:39pm

Re: Re: 5 minute, 1.6 oz pillow
I always use the small dry bag I take in my pack as a pillow. It has a velcro closure at the top that folds over on its self a few times and then the two 'ends' clip together forming an airtight cl...

In Make Your Own Gear » 5 minute, 1.6 oz pillow
March 28, 8:05am

Re: Re: Da Vinci Code?
Paul, I agree with your question. Rogers comments are confusing. I agree it appears to be some type of joke but I took it to be at your expense, i.e. the mention of opening the window and seam seal...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tale of Two Alphamid's ~ MYOG ~ U-L & SUL
March 27, 2:01pm

A Level Research!
Kelly, I'm a male and my favourite colour for hiking is red / orange. The brighter the better. If I became involved in an accident I would want to be seen, not camouflaged against the countrysid...

In Multiple Use Gear » Help Needed
March 14, 2:14pm

I'd take a candle!
In addition to all the types of gear that has already been listed, I nearly always take a candle when I back pack. If trouble arose, I could always hunker down and pull my poncho around me and lite...

In Winter Hiking » Winter Day Hiking Items: Scenario
February 19, 11:27am

Re: Re: Single Guy Line
Jims contributon about weighting your pegs down with weighty rocks reminds me of an unfortunte accident I once had. I was camping here in the UK and needed a few rocks for exactly what Jim had sugg...

In Philosophy & Technique » Benchmark time for Tarp Set Up?
February 19, 10:29am

Re: Single Guy Line
If you had four pegs on side of your bivvy and four guy lines, then when the wind blew each peg would take 25% of the strain. I imagine that by having the extra peg and a single guy line, (All o...

In Philosophy & Technique » Benchmark time for Tarp Set Up?
February 19, 4:02am

Aluminum "Flat Fold" Cook Pot
Bill, I was only thinking about this very same idea just the other day, but as usual, yet again you have led the pack!!!!!!!! I will be interested to hear what results you get from this. Keep up th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Aluminum "Flat Fold" Cook Pot
September 19, 3:47am

Clean Water!!!
Well, thanks everyone for contributing some really horrible stuff. After reading the above you just can't look at a glass of water in the same way. Cysts growing in your brain for twenty years, yik...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Chemicals, Filters, or Neither!
September 12, 4:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Ashdown

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montane Featherlite
I have two of the Montane Featherlite shirts one of which I have owned now for about two years. These things pack up so small I always have one with me when I go out, whether its stuffed in a pocke...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
March 21, 12:04pm

Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat
Ditto to everything Douglas Frick said. This hat has offered me the best protection from the sun to date. I haven't had it long but am already impressed by the coverage it offers. Definitely will ...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 15, 9:21pm

Bozeman Mountain Works Torsolite Pad
Well, I've taken my BMW Torsolite on a few backpacking trips now, in that never end search for the perfect nights sleep for the least amount of weight. It is true to say that this pad is nice and t...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 22, 3:15am

FlexAir Pillow Dual Compartment Ultralight
I bought one of these pillows with a bit scepticism. However, I have to say, it performed better than I expected. You get all the usual problems associated with air pillows in terms of getting the ...

In Miscellaneous Products
July 18, 4:38pm

Silva Type 54 Compass
Having looked for a a good compass over a long period of time, I evenutally settled for the Silva Type 54. The compass it's self is a base plate type compass so it's ideal for taking bearings direct f...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
August 17, 4:37am

Kelly Kettle
I totally agree with Ryans comments above. I have owned a Kelly Kettle for a few years now and use it in a base camp type set up. It is supremely fast in boiling water and the chimney effect makes it ...

In Stoves - Other
August 07, 10:54pm

Stratus Trailstove
The TrailStove by Stratus is a straight forward wood burning stove. I purchased one about a year ago or so and looked forward to the weight savings I would make by not having to carry fuel with me. Th...

In Stoves - Other
August 07, 10:16pm

ThermoJet MicroLite
I have purchased several types of soda can stove over the years and whilst they all have there strengths and weaknesses, this is by far the alcohol stove set up I use the most. This openjet stove, is ...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 05, 12:44pm