Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 131 - 140 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Water @ Springs
John, Springs on the AT can be contaminated. They usually draw from shallow aquifers and there is likely to be some source of contamination uphill. A shallow aquifer can produce clear, cold water ...

In GEAR » Water @ Springs
April 05, 12:21pm

Re: Switching from Canister Stove
Christopher, For shame! You are luring Sid into the abyss of making alky stoves. We may never see him again. Seriously, on thruhikes - where I am out for several months - I alternate between a...

In GEAR » Switching from Canister stove
April 05, 11:59am

Re: Re: Re : windshirt and/or rainjacket
I have found that the DriDucks suits substitute well for wind protection as well as hard rain without moisture buildup.

In GEAR » windshirt and rainjacket, redundant?
April 02, 1:01pm

lash point
I would consider hand stitching from the outside with a curved needle. If the fabric has enough slack you can probably get by with a straight needle. Glue will sortof work, but not for long in wat...

In Make Your Own Gear » Adhesive for Polyester Fabrics?
March 30, 8:28am

Re: re:valved dry bag
Have tried it using Hypalon dry bags. It works as long as the bag holds air, but any failure to seal will let the bag sag. As someone noted, the air pressure makes the bag cylindrical, putting the...

In Multiple Use Gear » Valved dry bag
March 28, 11:17am

Re: Remove velcro
If you don't need it, remove it. Cut the threads that are exposed every 5 stitches or so, and pick them out.

In Make Your Own Gear » Remove velcro
March 28, 11:05am

Re: Re: Stinky
Einstein, You might want to go easy on the H3O. It is not much different in action from chlorine bleach and actually burns the wool. Both Cl and H3O are oxidizers. A much more effective odor treat...

In GEAR » Stinky
March 27, 11:15am

a simple cutter
By accident I recently discovered that a simple snap-blade box knife works better than a roller cutter on silnylon. Surprise. Searing is rarely very useful and there is always the danger of melti...

In Make Your Own Gear » hot knife buying advice?
March 25, 4:18pm

Re: Guyline Tensioner: how far to stretch
A suggestion for how far to stretch a tensioner: The tensioner has two purposes, to take up the sag that develops as rain, dew or insensible perspiration causes the fly, tent, tarp, or canopy to s...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Guyline Tensioners
March 20, 7:01pm

Re: Tanking up correction.
There are too many variables to generalize about water uptake rates. However, a couple of things seem important. Adding electrolytes to your water improves uptake and replaces what is lost in swe...

In Philosophy & Technique » Ray Jardine's Suggestions
March 19, 11:55am

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm