Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Lyons (towaly) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Smoky Mtns.
About Me Likes the outdoors.
StateTN
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Lyons

Showing 131 - 140 of 299 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...30

Forum » Thread

Re: Tall users with Gatewood Cape?
The first user review on the SMD site for the GC says that he's 6'3" and almost touches his head and feet to the ends, but he fits. The inner net tent is 7 feet long, but it's the...

In GEAR » setting up Golite poncho tarp
September 22, 10:13am

Re: Adding a beak.
Many of the modern popular shaped-tarp shelters today are simply variations of the half-pyramid, with beaks added. I have a SMD Gatewood Cape that I think is awesome for its dual-purpose roles, ...

September 22, 8:26am

half-pyramid
I have a similar-sized flat tarp that I pitch in half-pyramid, and I like that the best. It offers good protection on 3 sides, and is easy to pitch, and offers side-entry. I like side-entry MUCH ...

September 22, 7:20am

Fill it up.
Just put something inside it that fills it up, and that will support the walls enough to prevent average crush forces inside the pack. It won't prevent it from crushing if you sit on it, but h...

In GEAR » Protecting a fosters can
September 21, 9:07am

re
I haven't tried cuben yet, but I'm open to it. From what I have been able to gather from other users, it is very good for shelter canopy use because it doesn't stretch and is complet...

In GEAR » cuben fiber, is it worth the extra money.
September 21, 9:02am

Gorilla on sale
I just got an email from GG saying that the Gorilla packs that are in stock will be on special price sale for $185 for this week only, while they last.

In GEAR » Considering a GG Gorilla, but afraid to give up my osprey frame...
September 21, 8:14am

above freezing
I'm noticing they are typically limited to temps above freezing. Like for example, the WM Highlite sewn-thru bag is rated to 35*F(previously was 40*F), and the WM Summerlite continuous-baffled...

In GEAR » Temp limit on sewn- thru bags
September 21, 7:04am

Excellent results
I recently seam-sealed my Gatewood Cape, with amazingly good results. I mixed Loctite Brand Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant with Crown Brand Paint Thinner(100% Mineral Spirits) in a 50/50 mix. ...

In GEAR » Tacky silicone...
September 20, 3:50pm

Lots of options.
I think you're on the right track. There are lots of options in all the categories you mentioned. The Echo 2 is nice, but there are also many other nice double shelters, even ones made of c...

In GEAR » Trying to get down to 20lb pack need advice.
September 20, 7:51am

re.
I live in the Southeast, and I tarp camp. Basically, the lines between these things are blurring, and some tarps are becoming "shaped tarps" which are getting closer to tents, and tent...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarp camping in the southern US
September 18, 12:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons has posted no reviews.