BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 131 - 140 of 1035 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: hooded?
No. A pic can be seen in this thread

In Gear Swap » FS - JCP Puffy Jackets for COST + SHIPPING
March 09, 6:08pm

Re: Hiking Pants
> 13.5oz warm up pants (nylon outside, thin mesh inside) Cut out most or all of the mesh to reduce weight and dry time > they don't dry very fast and weigh a ton when they are wet ...

In GEAR » Hiking Pants
March 09, 3:21pm

Re: Zpacks or MLD Rain Mitts
FYI John Abela's recent blog on these

In GEAR » Zpacks or MLD Rain Mitts
March 09, 3:06pm

Re: Suggestions Please
I'd still try a few smaller loops, but there are decent trails all over the park. Do check the closures page though as several in the NW side are likely still closed from storm damage. Not sure...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Help with Smokies Trip
March 09, 2:46pm

Re: FS/FT: New Patagonia Sunshade shirt (Men's M)
Bump

In Gear Swap » FS/FT: New Patagonia Sunshade shirt (Men's M)
March 09, 1:36pm

Re: Badly need advice. 5-7 days. California. Early April.
In early April, any of the good mountains will be full of snow and cold. Public transportation in the US outside major metro areas is pretty pathetic compared to many parts of the world. I'd...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Badly need advice. 5-7 days. California. Early April.
March 09, 11:48am

Re: can learn on own but practice
+1 to what Brian said. Practice is the easiest way. Keep an eye on the topo as you're moving on familiar trails so you can picture what the topo is showing you. Things are much more difficult w...

In Philosophy & Technique » Navigation
March 09, 10:40am

Re: Fabric choice to increase durability of Frogg Toggs rain wear?
Seems like an incredible pain for little gain. The only place I seem to tear up is around the wrists which don't matter too much. After 3 years I did finally add some transparent duct tape arou...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fabric choice to increase durability of Frogg Toggs rain wear?
March 09, 10:11am

Re: Canisters in a Pot with a Kovea Spider
FWIW, I fit my Windpro, windscreen and a small canister in the Walmart grease pot, which is somewhere near 1.5 L I think. I take it when I have both boys with me.

In Philmont » Stoves at Philmont
March 09, 9:55am

Re: seam failure
Thanks for the info. It's nice to know they'll hold a fair amount of snow load. I'd also guess the adhesive on the provided tape isn't superior to some of the other tapes we'...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
March 07, 5:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.