BPL Community Profile

Steve Meier (smeier) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me I am in my late-40's and really got interested in backpacking about 10 years ago as a way to have some concentrated time with my boys, now all finishing up high school or in college. I try to get out a few times a year, including a bi-annual trip to Colorado for some of the big stuff. Otherwise I am stuck in the very boring midwest where everything exciting is a good day's drive away.
CityIndianapolis
StateIN
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListUL tarp-solo

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steve Meier

Showing 131 - 140 of 230 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Forum » Thread

tulle not worth it
To go as light as you're thinking you likely need to go to tulle, which you can buy at any big box fabric store. You could either sew it or simply drape it over you, using a hang of some kind ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Small bug netting plans/ideas?
January 30, 8:47pm

Close to a Circuit
I looked at the REI Flash 45 recently in the store and was struck by how close it resembles the ULA Circuit--I mean right down to the J-style shoulder harness. The fabrics didn't seem as durab...

In GEAR » REI Flash 45 First Impressions
January 27, 6:34pm

PM sent
Got one that I'll let go. PM sent.

In Gear Swap » WTB: MontBell UL Down Hugger #5 40 Degree Bag
January 27, 6:21pm

+1 on the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack
I went through this process a couple of years ago, trying to find a stuff sack with shoulder straps so I could use it for a FAK and PSK and actually take it with me when I wonder away from camp. T...

In GEAR » Stuffsack-with-straps as a daypack
January 26, 8:07am

suggestion
Joey, I just did a 57 mile loop from Clingman's Dome in last September. It's a great area. You'll need to get to the dome from the TN side due to the landslide that was mentioned earl...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Clingman's Dome Loop - 3 Days
January 24, 4:48pm

+ 1 on everyone's comments
Michael, I just want to echo everyone's sentiments that this is a great place to hang out, learn, and don't feel intimidated by the members that aren't striving to hit some number. I s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is there a decent non-lightweight forum?
January 21, 11:38am

2ookworks
Might want to check out the 2ookworks inner for the Trailstar. Very cool design although expensive. I used it with my TS before moving away from tarps and back to tents. Quality is top notch.

In GEAR » Inner net tent for TrailStar
January 18, 9:14am

It's loud
I stayed in a shelter with someone sleeping on the XTherm and it is really loud and annoying. I didn't know it was the pad at the time and I thought it was the rumbling of thunder and an incom...

In GEAR » XTherm does the noise lessen later?
January 18, 9:12am

shirts
Sorry Tim, I found out that my wife gave them to Goodwill last year. My bad...

In Gear Swap » Donate Some Gear?
January 16, 10:12am

Perfect to make yourself
Seth, I encourage you to make the tulle bug sock yourself if so inclined. Of all of my gear that I think might be overpriced, the tulle bug sock tops the list. It doesn't take much labor to m...

In Hammocks » Hammock Setup
January 10, 9:27am

All Reader Reviews by Steve Meier

Steve Meier has posted no reviews.