BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 131 - 140 of 435 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...44

Forum » Thread

JMT LIst
Chris, There are a lot of nice packs out there. My Mariposa plus is older and does not have the curved stays, so, it's max comfortable load is about 25 lbs. I think I had 28 lbs. when I had ...

In Gear Lists » The "not-another-JMT-list" list
September 17, 12:40pm

"The "not-another-JMT-list" list"
But, it is a JMT list. I saw you will be changing your pack. There can be substantial savings there. I use Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. I also had the Bearicade Weekender. We found we could get ...

In Gear Lists » The "not-another-JMT-list" list
September 15, 5:50pm

Going UL at Philmont
Manfred, Make sure you read up on all of the great Philmont information at the Scouting and Philmont Forum. We took a troop there a few years ago and this site was extremely helpful. As a troop ...

In Gear Lists » JMT Hike by Boy Scout
September 07, 3:57pm

12' Iwana
I too have just started fishing with a Tenakara. After talking with Jason a bit I decided on the Iwana 12'. I just finished a week long trek in the Sierras doing a modified loop on the High Sie...

In Fishing » Send up of the Tenkara Amago (and Tenkara in general)
August 30, 1:52pm

Nice Job!
Daniel, Nice job on finishing the JMT. I took my son last year. He was 17 at the time. I wish I had done it when I was a teenager since last year was my first thru hike. I plan on doing it agai...

In Gear Lists » JMT Hike by Boy Scout
August 18, 1:09pm

Speed or Lack Of
We found that on our JMT hike last year, after averaging it all out, we consistently hiked 2 mph all day long. That included any short break and a lunch break. So, if we had a 20+ mile day, we just...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How fast do you hike?
August 16, 2:48pm

Thanks
Thanks Sam. I ordered one of their maps. Now he will have a good start and my wife will be happy I actually did something.

In GEAR » Maps for Tetons
August 12, 3:20pm

Maps for Tetons
My son will be going off to college in the fall. He will be in Rexburg, ID. I know he will be interested in hiking from in and around Grand Teton and thereabout. His first six weeks will be in Drig...

In GEAR » Maps for Tetons
August 12, 12:52pm

Car at Whitney Portal
We had a different situation than you last year. We left a car at Portal and then got a ride from a relative to the valley. When we finished the car was there and we got out nice and quick. I do no...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question about leaving a car at Whitney Portal
August 12, 10:57am

2 Legged Creatures
The scary thing about that story is most people in the backcountry are so open and inviting since most we meet are great. This can lead to problems by being too gullible. What a bummer!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grim news near Yellowstone
August 10, 5:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm