BPL Community Profile

Piper S. (sbhikes) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
About Me I hiked 3000 miles of the PCT over 2008 and 2009, about half the trail each time. I now hike in the backcountry of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. I'm a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear.
CitySanta Barbara
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://santabarbarahikes.com
My PDF Gear ListPiper's Gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Piper S.

Showing 131 - 140 of 1307 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...131

Forum » Thread

Re: Weight, weight, weight
Before I hiked the PCT I did the math on all the various permutations with the gear I had available, trying to see what combination of tarp and rain gear weighed the least (rain gear because some s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Never used a tarp. Deciding to use it for a long distance hike...
November 20, 3:24pm

Stronger is better for everybody
Being stronger is better for everyone, though. If you can do 3 pull-ups, great. But if you can do 4 pull-ups or 50 weighted pull-ups, even better. You cannot be too strong. I also believe that a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why barefoot isn't best for most runners
October 03, 2:40pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Functional strength
Being able to squat more is helpful for any kind of activity. General strength gains improved my bowling score of all things. I went from the 30s to the 130s. As for big guys who can't so pu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why barefoot isn't best for most runners
October 02, 8:49pm

Re: Re: Running whatever
All I know is that running and other kinds of slow movement were no longer working for me. Maybe it is my age. I am 48. Maybe it's my body type. I'm short and stocky and kind of surprisingl...

October 02, 7:18am

Re: Re: aerobics vs weight training for hiking
I do squats, overhead presses, bench presses and deadlifts. I do these all with the olympic bar and plates. I started with the Starting Strength program and now I struggle to make progress anymore ...

October 01, 7:35pm

Re: aerobics vs weight training for hiking
Before I tried weight lifting and intervals I would try to stay in shape with bicycle commuting, running and hiking. So we're talking as much as 2-3 hours of aerobic exercise during a weekday a...

October 01, 4:02pm

Re: Running does suck
I don't do cross-fit. Cross-fit is stupid. I do a progressive barbell strength program and I suck at it. Yet I never felt stronger and more capable hiking in Glacier National Park this summer. ...

October 01, 7:56am

Re: Re: Science Fact: Running Does Not Suck.
Running is too much effort for too little ROI plus over time it may slow your metabolism, cause muscle catabolism and leave you fat (or skinny-fat) and weak. You can achieve a lot more with less wi...

September 30, 1:14pm

Re: miso
My Japanese friend has a lot of pictures of his food mixed in with his hiking pictures. https://plus.google.com/photos/104620544810418955412/albums?banner=pwa He also has a hiking tips site (mo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe.
September 29, 9:22pm

Re: Paleo backpackers??
Here's some paleo food I had on my last trip. http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/backpacking-with-no-cook-foods

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Paleo backpackers??
September 29, 7:35pm

All Reader Reviews by Piper S.

Piper S. has posted no reviews.